Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New (second hand) modded dslr - odd behaviour

Hi all, I've just bought a modded dslr (second hand 600d). I tested it last night and reviewing the pics today, it seems something went wrong. I set it running with an intervalometer to take 100 pics @ 1 min exposures. It too 1000+ over a range of exposures, mostly ~900 @ 1s with only about 15 at the target. What have I done wrong? Have you had anything like this happen before?

Have you got mirror lockup set?  I had issues when trying to use this with an intervalometer. Also, you might want to check if exposure bracketing on?

Simon

I'd run a few repeat tests (can be done anytime). If the intervalometer is set and the cameras in bulb mode it'll take based on what was set on the intervalometer. 

I would probably start by doing a factory reset of the camera, just in case there are any strange settings the previous user had setup

2 hours ago, Swillis said:

Have you got mirror lockup set?  I had issues when trying to use this with an intervalometer. Also, you might want to check if exposure bracketing on?

Simon

What's a mirror lockup set ? Probably answers your question... :) The camera was factory reset when I got it (had to re-enter date & time) so I assume any bracketing that may have been set up previously would have also been reset. Will check this though - even with bracketing though we should only be looking at double or triple the pictures though right? It's weird that there are >1000.

I've just run another test, 152 photos @ 1min exposures. There are only 78 captured, oddly one of them is in portrait mode...I wonder if the camera needs a short 1 or 2 second interval set.

2 hours ago, Elp said:

I'd run a few repeat tests (can be done anytime). If the intervalometer is set and the cameras in bulb mode it'll take based on what was set on the intervalometer. 

This is what I don't understand. I initially thought I'd incorrectly set the intervalometer to just take 1 second photos, but then I saw the seemingly random spread of exposures. Also the intervalometer only goes up to 200 shots, i.e. I can't even set it to take 1000 pics. Also, see above I just ran a test. All correct exposures but only half the expected amount.

21 minutes ago, PhilB61 said:

It's hard to say what went wrong without knowing what intervalometer you used, what settings, what camera settings etc

Camera is set to Bulb, 800 iso. Intervalometer was set to take 100 pics, no interval, no delay, 1 minute exposures. The intervalometer is this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GDBK5D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

22 minutes ago, PhilB61 said:

I would probably start by doing a factory reset of the camera, just in case there are any strange settings the previous user had setup

Yep - The camera prompted to enter date and time when it arrived. I assume this means it was factory reset?? It's a good call though, I'll do that and try again.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Very odd behaviour, never had an issue with an intervalometer, if you happen to know someone nearby with a different one perhaps try that to eliminate the issue being with the handset, or if you have another camera at hand compatible try it to see if that camera works with it.

Edited by Elp

It may not help much but I have a 600D and it had the mirror lockup set when I got it. Confused me until some on here mentioned it. Don't remember where the setting was though.

This is a wireless intervalometer. I don't know if you used the wireless mode but if you did it's probably worth trying it with direct connection. I've never had an issue using mine with  direct connection intervalometer. It's a different intervalometer though.

I always use it with an interval between shots, about 20 secs for 1 min exposure. It's lets the sensor cool down a bit.

If it was used with a direct connection I would suspect a faulty cable or connector not pushed in fully, causing extra shots to be taken if the cable moved.

Also the intervalometer appears to have a manual button. It's worth trying that for a few times, it may give some clues.

Andy

I suspect this is an issue with the intervalometer rather than the camera. On the wireless one I used with my Nikon (different brand to yours) I could watch the display and see the commands as they were sent to the camera. Maybe you could do similar and see if the commands sent are as you programmed them. 

So, I have used this intervalometer with a separate camera and everything worked as it should but I had never used the wireless feature at the distance I had this time around. This was ~15m away. All previously successful shoots, the distance has been ~2m at most. My thoughts now are that the issue is one or a combo of these:

-low battery in either unit of the intervalometer

-interference (would explain why the camera was triggered to take 1000 pics)

-loss of connection between the intervalometer base unit and receiver causing off behaviour with the camera

-lack of interval causing some issue

I just remembered that I had a cheap, old, wire-only intervalometer. I've just run a test with an interval of 5 seconds, 100 pics @ 1 minute each. I ended up with 99 pics on target, 1 at 59 and 1 at 53. Obviously a much better error rate. So it's looking good, great info - thanks all!

Now just hoping for some cloud free nights to try again properly!