Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed to decide

So, I am looking at buying my first camera for astrophotography, and I am trying decide between the asi533mc pro, or the new asi585mc pro.  This will be used in a c6 with a reducer, I know the 533 has bigger pixels and a larger FOV. I would be getting the ASIAIR and I could do mosaics with the 585. The main reason for not being able to decide is the 585 is cheaper but a lot of forums are saying the 533 is a better camera.  Also with the 585 ZWO says it can be used for planetary imaging as well. Has anyone any opinions on this?

I had a 485 which is even cheaper (or a 385 cheaper still) main difference being the 585 has the no amp glow feature but it's a non issue. I used it for planetary and long exposure DSO, worked great though I don't know if it was due to my optics at the time and bandpass shifting (F2) I found the colour saturation a bit lacking for DSO. At around F3 the colours were better.

The 533 is better for a flat even field because a square sensor fits into an imaging circle better than a rectangular sensor.

As I've owned both it comes down to this, first being budget. Second you need to decide whether you want to take advantage of the 585s 16:9 aspect ratio (it's wide, you miss out on the height) or the 533s shortfall (it's perceived taller than a rectangular sensor of similar size, but shorter on the width), it all depends on the framing of your targets. Either will be a good purchase.

Check the field of view of each setup on astronomy tools website, or similar, for your typical targets. Also I wouldn't want to be planning on mosaics if I was just starting with imaging, a whole other world of pain and frustration.... 

Thank you for your replies, so. Many different options. Will prob go with the 533 as that is what I was planning to do in the first place before ZWO released the 585