Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi 2" Sleeve (N13) and Baader ClickLock

I'm trying to put together a good solution for switching between mono and bino mode for my telescope and was hoping someone knows the answer to this question.

Would Takahashi Takahashi 2" Sleeve (N13) work with Baader ClickLock? From the photos I image probably not or it won't be a secure connection. 

This part: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-adapters/takahashi-2-sleeve-tkp00113.html

With this one: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-clicklock-m56i-clamp-takahashi.html

If the N13 works then I can use it with existing Tak visual back and avoid extensions. 

i took some pictures for you - it fits and feels very secure but...

N13 is the most right hand segment inserted into the baader click lock here in this tak eyepiece holder assembly... i'm not swinging my body weight from it but it does feel very secure with the click lock secured. I would use it for straight through viewing now i know it works 🙂:

IMG_4937.thumb.jpeg.02d63afbf76586f8ef22ebbd574bdc74.jpeg

...on the other hand if i try to insert N13 with the click lock closed as in this pic below you can see that the part of N13 that is being gripped by the click lock above isn't very deep - just the two or three mm you now see as the gap between N13 and rear of the click lock:

IMG_4938.thumb.jpeg.6eae936466b0fde072db2dcfb156aedc.jpeg

by contrast this is a "normal" 2inch adapter fully inserted:

IMG_4939.thumb.jpeg.8416bbdb30afbc0d7b985f45d4c1f7bd.jpeg

and inserted with the click lock closed so you can see how much is normally gripped by the click lock above (circa 10mm not two or three):

IMG_4940.thumb.jpeg.975b4f061e98c3dd1539a537c93ca2d3.jpeg

the gripping part of the click lock is 10mm inside the click lock from its rear edge and N13 is 14mm deep from its shoulder on the scope side.

Cheers

Edited by josefk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

no worries - just to avoid being too pessimistic i've just had another look and it doesn't look like the click lock needs to mate onto much of N13 to really grab it - the beauty of a compression fitting.

However i'm still not sure i would trust a kilo of binoviewer and EPs to it where dropping it would be catastrophic. 

Hi @AlcorAlly as per the PM this is a measurement of the scope end of TKP00113:

IMG_4947.thumb.jpeg.dc6998b572f04df4b0f522c289556a3f.jpeg

It's 10mm from the shoulder of N13 to the start of the raised bit at its scope end. The raised bit is 4mm wide but it's chamfered. The flat non-chamfered part of that raised bit is 3mm wide.

I think this whole 3mm bit is clamped by the compression ring of the Baader click lock but as the Baader click lock compression ring is 10mm inside the click lock itself the shoulder of N13 is on the outside edge of the compression ring if that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

...actually not even as much as the whole 3mm will be clamped - the compression ring in the click lock is slightly deeper than the 10mm i first measured and also has a chamfer so the surfaces that are actually overlapped and in contact with one another may only be 1 or 2mm wide:

IMG_4948.thumb.jpeg.0bdc75a3c0c78233ffa047efd14ef062.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thank you! Perhaps taping the undercut could help increase contact area with compression ring and make it more secure. I’d only use this set up for mono and light 1.25 eyepieces, so it’s probably fine. Thanks again for all the helpful photos and for taking the measurements. 

no worries at all - as i say though it looks like only a tiny bit is clamped it does feel quite tight and secure. i would trust straight through and may be i would trust a light diagonal and a 1.25 EP. Now i've measured it i won't be trusting a prism and 2" EP and definitely not binoviewers. That would be an expensive lesson! 🙂 

• Like 1

Now, this thread is a prime example of why SGL is so brilliant 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

And no mention of the price of Tak adapters either 🤣👍🏻

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

And no mention of the price of Tak adapters either

I thought at £54 the N13 was a bargain by Takahashi standards!

• Haha 1

TBF they are very nicely made even if i don't need or use any of them. The Tak 3" extension tube (that came with a scope) makes the TeleVue 2" extension tube i already had look and feel like the cardboard inside bit of a toilet roll by comparison. 

• Like 3