Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some images from 26th Feb 2024

fwm891

First longish clear night for sometime. Bright moon (16.5 days old 97% illuminated) but new scope to try out so solder on...

Scope Askar 120 with 0.8x reducer used for all images, coupled with an ASI2600MC Duo Gain 101 Offset 25.

Had my first go for ages at M42. Series of subs: 25x 60s, 20x 25s, 15x 10s and 15x 5 seconds. These were first registered and individual stacks made in PI, saved as tiff's and then the stacks were brought together in Photoshop (fun!) then back into PI for some tidying up and resizing. I used an Astronomic L2 UV/IR Cut filter for the M42 images.

NGC 281. Managed to catch this in a gap between mine and a neightbours house lowish in the NW.  15x 240 second subs using an Askar Ha/OIII 6nm NB filter. All processing in PI.

M81 / M82 Duo. High overhead again to get away from the worst of the moons glare in the southeast.  10x 240 second subs. An Astronomic L2 UV/IR cut filter was used. All processing in PI.

I have used some of the 'RC' processes within PI namely: StarExterminator to separate the stars and backgrounds so I can process them independently. Also the NoiseExterminator to reduce the noise levels after processing some steps. I've not used the BlurExteminator to reduce the star sizes and halos as I'm still getting used to what the scope/reducer will give me without software interferance.

M42 and NGC281 are uncropped APS-C frames, M81/M82 has been cropped for framing.

Layer stack+Stars.png

Stars+Starless.png

Stars+Starless.png

Edited by fwm891
text added
  • Like 9

20 hours ago, Elp said:

How are you finding the scope?

@Elp I'm loving it. Images are clean right across the frame with good contrast (APS-C, ASI 2600MC-Duo) which I guess as it's supposed to cover full frame sensors should be expected, but I don't have a dedicated astro full frame camera. I have a Nikon 800E which I'm testing with NINA on my desk top to make sure things sync OK. I'm looking at getting a second 120 to make up a dual rig in the obsy. I've been playing with  FoV simulators not just for subjects but to get a better idea of what cameras I can put on each and how I can get almost matching FoV's with the different reducer/flatteners mated with which camera. ie the 1x flattener (840mm fl with the full frame will almost match the 0.8x reducer 672mm fl with the APS-C) or the Duo and the 585MC with the 1x and 0.8x respectively.

Processing wise I'm using PI but I've found I haven't needed to use BlurXTerminator for star reduction/halo control. None of the images above have used it. All my testing with it has been done at near full moon so I'm really hoping that weather is kind so I can see what it will give with darker sky backgrounds. Quite pleased with the above given the 97% illuminated moon, M42 and M81/82 images were shot with a UV/IR cut filter so no real attempt to reduce the sky background at the time.

I've had an Altair 115 Wave Series previously which I've always regreted selling but going back through some of the older images it wasn't as contrasty. Whether that's tech moving on I don't know but the images don't have the same detail?

• Like 1