Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

5 min video of Sun in UV including the 3 recent X flares

symmetal

Here's a 5min 20sec video of the Sun I made using the GOES-18 SUVI HDR image data at 304 angstroms, (30.4nm). It's made from 9636 frames at 5 frames/sec from 1200 on 21st Mar to 2304 on 25 Mar (4.5 days) so it's at x1200 normal speed. Along with the bright flares there are some large prominences from other areas of the Sun, particularly around the times of the flares.

Flare at 2307 on 21st Mar, X1.8

Flare at 0632 on 22nd Mar, X1.7

Flare at 2234 on 22nd Mar, X6.3

The flares are clipped on the video as if I adjusted the gain/gamma to not clip them, the rest of the Sun would be fairly black. 🙂 The Sun is already fairly dark in the video but bright enough to see what's going on. I've used a colour similar to that used by NASA in their images of this wavelength. It's at 50% size to keep the file size down so it's worth viewing at its 640x640 resolution to avoid it looking too blurry. Right click to download it.

Alan 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StarHugger said:

Thanks for sharing, This Gent also makes X Flare vids, his go back a ways...

Thanks. Very dramatic. 😁 Mine was just to show the Sun over several days and the flares happened to be in that period. The spot at bottom left looked to flare as well just before coming into view and threw up some large prominences too.

11 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

You just need to download "JHelioviewer" and you can access all of NASA's historical SDO data and make your own videos from it ... 😉 

Thanks. I've just downloaded it and it looks very comprehensive. Making my own videos from the raw fits data is very satisfying too. 😃

Alan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...