Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry Pi5 compatibility

AstroKeith

The relatively new Pi5 is now readily available. It gives a massive improvement in speed - at least x3 on most tasks, sometimes more. I'm blind plate-solving in about 0.6 seconds.

I have modified my own kit to move from the Pi4b to Pi5, and it wasnt a complete drop in (not just the USB socket arrangement reverting back to the Pi3 layout)

The biggest issue is the new Debian 12 Bookworm OS. This has made some significant changes to UART addressing and GPIO pin handling. Plus a much more formal approach to users, with virtual environments being almost essential now (Good Linux practice anyway)

I thought it might be useful to collate a list of what works and what doesnt. Please comment if you have any experiences, good or bad with the Pi5.

As a starter, this is what does work:

astrometry.net
Skyfield
Astropy
ZWOASI camera SDK
Phidget module support

What doesnt work:

Netatalk (but Samba is a good alternative)

I personally don't like the Debian build, so have done some frigging around to get a standard Ubuntu Mate build (22.04 Jammy) up & running but with the removal of all the snap junk etc... 

Having said that, I've installed Indi\Kstars, PHD2, Skychart, Stellarium, and all working as expected, but the weather hasn't been kind enough for me to try things out in anger....

One big gripe, for me, is the removal of the audio output connector, but keeping the second video output, which I've never used, even on the Pi4......  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I personally don't like the Debian build, so have done some frigging around to get a standard Ubuntu Mate build (22.04 Jammy) up & running but with the removal of all the snap junk etc... 

Having said that, I've installed Indi\Kstars, PHD2, Skychart, Stellarium, and all working as expected, but the weather hasn't been kind enough for me to try things out in anger....

One big gripe, for me, is the removal of the audio output connector, but keeping the second video output, which I've never used, even on the Pi4......  

Just to be clear - your list Kstars... etc, is that on Ubuntu or Bookworm?

I've used the second display port a lot, but never the audio. I guess they removed it to get some board space? 

I have one with a 512gb NVMe drive connected to the PCIe bus which runs nicely.

• Like 1

It's on Ubuntu Mate, latest LTS release, but I've removed most of the added junk including Snap, Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office etc. and have installed less clunky versions of app. like Firefox-esr....