Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help setting up the NEQ3 in the correct orientation

Kilohertz

Well after waiting 3 months for a clear night I went out last night to do the basics, aligning guide scope with main, polar alignment etc. I was outside until my fingers froze and basically accomplished nothing.

I'm confused as to how the NEQ3 should be oriented. I'm in BC,  lat. 51*N. My mount is sitting on the EQ-5 1.75" stainless leg tripod, the north leg is pointing north, polar scope is a pain to use (I'm 60 and not very flexible) and on my knees on a cold concrete slab is no fun.

My question is, what is the correct orientation of the mount head? The manual shows the dovetail screws on the right side when assembled with manual control cables, and the motor drive part of the manual says to rotate the head 180* so the 2 motors are on the same side but the dovetail mounting groove is not aligned with the polar axis on the set screw side, it's off by 15* or so. I have seen pictures on the web of it setup both ways. The way the set screws are oriented, I would think the angled smaller set screw should be pointing up so that the dovetail bar digs in against the pull of gravity, the motor should be on the opposite side of the RA motor and the set screws should be on the right.

Can someone with experience with this mount please let me know what is correct? I have another clear night tonight to get things all set for some initial captures.

Thank you

Edited by Kilohertz

Hi @Kilohertz

I always orientate my mount head with the home position set saddle screws on left when standing behind the mount looking towards North. 

This means that when I mount the scope, it is pointing in the general direction of Polaris.

I grabbed an image of the (or similar) manual mount off the internet showing the 'home' orientation before installing a scope.

Capture.JPG

I've since upgraded to the HEQ5PRO. When I had the EQ3 I started with slo mo controls and then did a motor upgrade so no, I didn't have Synscan. I do have it on the HEQ5PRO though, but I mostly control the mount through my lap top.