Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calculating the path of the December 447AD solar eclipse

I am looking for an easy way to generate the path of the 23 December 447AD solar eclipse. This eclipse took place around Madeira and the Azores. I can 'see' the eclipse in Stellarium, but generating the path by changing time and the location is quite cumbersome and perhaps not very accurate, so I wondered if there is a tool that generates either the path in coordinates or even a map.

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Nicolàs

NASA has a register/archive of eclipses that should also show path maps for each eclipse... the map is not working on my phone's browser, but I link it here in case someone is luckier from a computer: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearchmap.php?Ecl=04471223

I'd love to know why that specific date! :D

Edited by SwiMatt

Dear Matt,

thanks for that link. It does not work in Firefox or Chrome, but the source of that page has all the required information, so thanks!

The data was asked for by a researcher on the Rete newsgroups, apparently it will be used in an essay.

Nicolàs

• Like 1