Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary nebula WHDS 1 (aka WeDe 1) in Orion

gorann

The discovery of WHDS 1 (PK197-06.1) was published in 1983 by Weinberger, Hartl, Dengel and Sabbadin (https://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1983ApJ...265..249W). For some reason it is more often referred to as WeDe 1. It is an old evolved planetary nebula and large enough to be a rather good target for my RASA rig, When I was planning my framing in Telescopius I noticed that there were more structures nearby that I could include in the image by pushing the main object out of the center. Those Ha emitting structures are part of Lambda Orionis. This PN is quite faint and probably therefore very rarely imaged.

Dual-RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ (Ha+Oiii). 92 x 5 min, so 7.7 hours. Processed in PI and PS including the XT tools.

Cheers, Göran

20240204 WeDe1 RASA PS14smallSign.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice, Göran. I had to look this one up. It must be a lot fainter than what your image suggests here. That's quite a stereo photon hoover that you have in your backyard.