NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

La Palma Observatories and Winter Milky Way Arc

This is one of the last and most difficult panorama images I took on La Palma. I started this one at 01:30hrs 10th Jan when the Arc was pretty high in the sky over the observatories of Isaac Newton and Jacob Kapteyn  on the Roque de los Muchachos. The sky panel was three rows of 27images!

Fortunately PTGui was able to stitch it all together (just about) without too much distortion for me to sort out. Maybe my tracked sky technique is improving!!

Sky images: ISO1600, f4, 60secs.

Foreground: ISO3200, f2.8, 30secs (Isaac Newton was moving it’s Dome and battery running low).

Processed in Lightroom and blended in Photoshop CS.

Hope you like this one (CC’s welcome).

Winter MW over the Isaac Newton Observatory La Palma;

144C9184-1767-4383-BC83-91E625EF7DE3.thumb.jpeg.c43b4e9386f76d1f08c6f87def5004be.jpeg

• Like 19

Another image that sparks a combination of admiration and envy! Very nicely done - I love the contrast between the airglow and the nebulosity. I hope you’ve got some big walls to have these images printed and hung onto!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Another image that sparks a combination of admiration and envy! Very nicely done - I love the contrast between the airglow and the nebulosity. I hope you’ve got some big walls to have these images printed and hung onto!!

Thanks for the kind comments.  The Calina desert dust showing reddish yellow on the bottom left of the image contrasts nicely with the green airglow on the right. Then all the red nebula in the sky (helped by my hydrogen alpha filter) adds to the vibrancy of the scene. So much to see here and don’t forget Andromeda, Pleiades, Jupiter and Uranus too (good luck with this one)! Yes I am very encouraged to go back out and capture some more scenes like this!!

• Like 1