NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Auxiliary Power Supply Star Adventurer GTi

I just unboxed the GTi. I've inserted the 8  AA batteries. I'd prefer powering up using an external 12V DC source. I do have a Power Sonic 12V (sealed) 18 amp hour battery which I've used with an old CG-5 mount and with a 20-inch GoTo Alt-Az setup. It would fit nicely on top of the tripod spreader base. The initial current as printed on the side of the battery is "5.4 amps max". I wonder if that matters in the whole scheme of things. Can anyone respond to that concern? Which may be no concern at all...

So, the other thing I'm considering is purchasing  a Jackery Portable Power Station. I have a small RV and am off the grid camping at least twice a year. From what I've read elsewhere, that would involve getting a 2 amp AC  adapter with a 2.1mm center pin. The power station would come in handy for other things as well such as charging up my laptop. 

Any comment will be appreciated. I'll be setting up about 8 miles from the center line of the April 8th eclipse. Hopefully the clouds won't get in the way.

9 minutes ago, Telescopist said:

I just unboxed the GTi. I've inserted the 8  AA batteries. I'd prefer powering up using an external 12V DC source. I do have a Power Sonic 12V (sealed) 18 amp hour battery which I've used with an old CG-5 mount and with a 20-inch GoTo Alt-Az setup. It would fit nicely on top of the tripod spreader base. The initial current as printed on the side of the battery is "5.4 amps max". I wonder if that matters in the whole scheme of things. Can anyone respond to that concern? Which may be no concern at all...

It will work just fine and additionally provide extra stability for your tripod.

The GT1 wont pull anything like 5 amps.

Cant comment on the Jackery - never used one.

Good luck with the eclipse!

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

It will work just fine and additionally provide extra stability for your tripod.

The GT1 wont pull anything like 5 amps.

Cant comment on the Jackery - never used one.

Good luck with the eclipse!

Thanks!