Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Star Photometry using Reduc

I recently ran across the Reduc double star photometry software from Florent Losse http://www.astrosurf.com/hfosaf/uk/tdownload.htm. This software enables the easy measurement of angular separation and position angle. It requires images as an input. I used Sharpcap to capture 1 second subs in FITS format. These then need to be plate solved to show the degrees per pixel and frame rotation. I used Astrometry.net for this. With these parameters known, it's basically a matter of telling Reduc where the data is, selecting the stars and letting it run. It then gives you the PA and sep for your stars. There's a little more to it of course but it's quite straightforward. I analysed a couple of hundred frames for HJ2045. WDS suggests a PA of 81.8 and a sep of 27.238. I measured a PA of 82.73 and a sep of 27.211. I imagine when I get to grips with the software better, I will get even better results. Rather easier than an astrometric eyepiece.

image.thumb.png.c3255a911873688579a412c4738aa7e7.png

Edited by Richard N
  • Like 1

Hi Richard Reduc is a good bit of software. 

I have used it in the past and once my obs is up and running I jhope to use it again. 

If you feel you getting proficient then I would recommend contacting Bob Argyle. He is President of the Double Star section of the Webb Society and I am sure he would be happy to publish your measures. 

Kind Regards

Ian

• Like 1