Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIAir Plus and Nexstar Evolution Mount Power

Good day everyone!

looking for some guidance here please. I have a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 telescope and want some advice about the USB port on the mount. 

I am currently thinking of getting an ASIAir Plus. The easy factor and speed a very appealing as I am new if I just want to start out doing planetary images, EAA and regular visual observation. If I decide to get it I am thinking of returning my celestron focus motor and swapping for the ZWO EAF. Still seriously considering this but before I decide I wanted to know about powering it. 

is it possible to use the USB on the Evolution mount to power the ASIair Plus and then subsequently plus my ASI camera and focus motor into the ASI plus? If it’s even possible I know it will greatly reduce the Evolutions battery life but honestly even if I can push 3 or 4 hours instead of 10 that would be fine. Thanks in advance for any advice (on any of these pending decisions as well)! 

Must admit that I wouldn't.  The blurb describes it as a usb charge port so I think I would get a power pack for your other stuff. All the best.

You can power the mini via its usb C port (the gen 1 you can too, not the pro), one of the reasons I bought it. The plus only powers on via 12v in.

Edited by Elp

1 hour ago, Elp said:

You can power the mini via its usb C port (the gen 1 you can too, not the pro), one of the reasons I bought it. The plus only powers on via 12v in.

Couldn’t I theoretically used a DC to USB step up cable into the Evo mount for the plus? such as the one in the link below?

https://www.ledsupply.com/accessories/usb-step-up-converter-12v-dc#:~:text=USB ports within computers%2C batter,5.5mm DC barrel jack.

Edited by Vinnyvent84

Don't think it gives the amps. When a device (especially astro equipment which is expected to work in the cold) asks for 12V 5A, it better have it provided else you'll end up getting issues if it even powers up at all. Obviously you won't use the max 5A, so it might power on at least, uncooled cameras don't draw too much either.

Edited by Elp