NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SH2-274 Medusa Nebula

Clarkey

Third imaging session since September. Hooray!

The Medusa Nebula taken with a 115mm Triplet and RisingCam IMX571 with an L-extreme. I also imaged at the same time with my trusty old 1600MM pro and RC8, but the data was actually better from the colour camera. So... All the nebula data is from the colour camera, but the RGB stars are from the RC8. It makes me think I might need some better filters or a new camera.

Medusa Final.jpg

• Like 15

Lovely job! 
This isn’t a target I’ve ever attempted and your version makes me want to! 

can I ask, what brand RC8 are you using? How do you rate it? 
I have always been tempted to consider an RC scope but they seem to come with certain issues 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 😊

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments Bryan.

The RC8 is a Stella Lyra (GSO). I have found it to be excellent in most respects. I think I might have been lucky to get a 'good one'. The main think with mine is that the primary mirror and focuser are very well aligned which make collimation pretty straightforward. However, it only needs collimating once in blue moon. I have replaced the stock focuser with a Baader Steeltrack as the original did flex slightly and slipped when there was heavy dew. I guide with an ST80 rather than OAG and I have found no issues with flex. HTHs.

• Thanks 1