NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is it possible with a DSLR

I have a 150p with a RA mount attached, just waiting to use if with clear skies.

I have used the 150p without the motor previously and aldo fitted my DSLR via the T ring plus 2x barlow fitted. My photos had photos of M42 had star trials then I read about my problem with long exposures so hence now I have a motor.

The problem is I am using a X2 barlow so my field of view is narrowed down expecially if photographing the moon.

Is it possible to fit a x1.5 barlow lens to my 650d  camera, I have would have a wider field of view?

I also know the length of a the barlow lens has to remain the same so I can focus with my DSLR.

Edited by phil18

1 hour ago, phil18 said:

I have a 150p with a RA mount attached, just waiting to use if with clear skies.

I have used the 150p without the motor previously and aldo fitted my DSLR via the T ring plus 2x barlow fitted. My photos had photos of M42 had star trials then I read about my problem with long exposures so hence now I have a motor.

The problem is I am using a X2 barlow so my field of view is narrowed down expecially if photographing the moon.

Is it possible to fit a x1.5 barlow lens to my 650d  camera, I have would have a wider field of view?

I also know the length of a the barlow lens has to remain the same so I can focus with my DSLR.

I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to use a x1.5 Barlow. And yes you will obtain a wider field of view, as you will if you attach the camera directly to the scope.  Have you tried to do that?

I assume by RA mount you have a an equatorial mount with a motor on the RA axis?  That will limit your exposure durations to around 60s for deep sky targets, assuming you have good polar alignment.  You’ll be fine though for lunar photography where the exposures are much shorter.  

Hi Phil

I'm not familiar with that scope.

So I'm guessing you're using the Barlow to extend the image onto the DSLR sensor ?

As Ouroboros suggests, can you remove parts of the focuser to allow the DSR to screw directly onto the focuser, and get infinity focus ?

Otherwise, the 1.5X Barlow may not extend the image as far as the 2X, you'll have to hope.

Michael

If it’s a SkyWatcher 150P I’d guess it’s not too different to my 200P which I used to use with my 450D DSLR as shown here …

The camera is attached to the T-ring which is connected to the 1.25” adapter ring that fits on the scope. I managed to get hold of a spare 1.25” adapter ring from FLO which means I don’t have to disassemble the scope each time. 

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_0226.jpeg

4 hours ago, phil18 said:

Well known problem with cameras fitted to scopes designed for visual. The simplest is to move the primary mirror upwards in the tube.  Most often, 15mm is enough. Plenty of guides on this.