Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon - Fra Mauro

N3ptune

Hello, I am just back from a quick observation (and back here after a while too) with threatening clouds around and I made this fast sketch of "Fra Mauro" and friends. It took maybe 15 minutes total using my 1000x200 and a 6mm 167x eyepiece + a nice 80a filter. Transparency was poor today, it was freezing and this is the result of a fairly difficult operation where the PlayStation 5 was calling me and I went outside anyway, to sketch.  😄

2024-01-19 - 115 crater.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Ive not tried an 80a. 

You might like it! On the moon it's removing some brightness while observing with enough light around, increases comfort but the glass is invisible on the optical train and made of very good quality. (that was it's main purpose yesterday)

Lumicon 80a is good on Jupiter, according to my observations, it will highlight small darker features blended within a pale background, it darkens and sharpens further these features that are already darker (in the color palette of Jupiter.) The filter makes it much easier to spot white ovals by increasing the strength of its darker surroundings, it will also increase the visibility of the faint blue festoons blended inside of the pale equatorial region.  It's very interesting to use.

Lumicon 82a will to the same thing visually but differently because it's much lighter, it's easier to use for me eye and it will retain the original color of Jupiter with much greater fidelity, the planet will have a cold hue but it won't be literally blue like with 80a. I find it a bit superior to look at the NEB and SEB for the inner details, it will bring out a certain feature granulation detail at a higher level because the filter it's lighter. 80a and 82a are extremely interesting on Jupiter depending of the specific target.

I need to make more comparisons on the moon between these 2 and the Baader Neodymium as player 3.

Lumicon.jpg

Edited by N3ptune