Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The New Rig

Just spent the last 2.5 hours setting up a whole new outfit - EQ6 R Pro, RASA 8 with the ASI533MC Pro. Huge upgrade from what I had and I was half-dreading the artefacts that I'd heard about. However, just ran a 5 min test image on the Horsehead Nebula and we most definitely have lift off. This thing sucks in photons - actually it has to be seen to be believed just how much data it can capture in a few seconds. 
I'm aiming to get about 3 hours in and will post my results over the weekend. Hopefully I haven't just cursed myself by this!
Tried to get an image of the setup with my iPhone....

BW

Steve

IMG_6784.JPG

• Like 10

With a small chip like this you won't have anything like as much trouble with tilt as you can expect with an APSc. You're working within the comfort zone of the image circle. As for sucking in the photons - you bet. 3 hours with the RASA is a long exposure time. While my Avalon is out of commission our RASA rig is doing fine on a very well-used 12 year-old EQ6, too. You are in for some fun, I think.

Olly

Great combo. I've used the 533 with a RASA and really had great results from them. As Olly says you won't have the tilt problems of an APS-C  chip (I currently use a 2600 Duo or 585 on the RASA) but luckily both are fine.

Looking forward to seeing your Horsie when you've finished. Much to enjoy from now on. Remember to curve your cables at the front end to cut down on diffraction effects.... The printed cable guides FLO sells are great for that.

Edited by fwm891

16 hours ago, fwm891 said:

Great combo. I've used the 533 with a RASA and really had great results from them. As Olly says you won't have the tilt problems of an APS-C  chip (I currently use a 2600 Duo or 585 on the RASA) but luckily both are fine.

Looking forward to seeing your Horsie when you've finished. Much to enjoy from now on. Remember to curve your cables at the front end to cut down on diffraction effects.... The printed cable guides FLO sells are great for that.

Yep, just had one delivered so will use it next time. 

Far from perfect but I'm happy with the results so far - done on an uncalibrated monitor so will need a revision for sure.
30 x 60 secs
24 x 300 secs
5 x 600 secs

HH_01.jpg

Edited by steveinhants
  • Like 4