Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Tuff Truk Mini Pier Truk

I have had this brilliant very hardware since last summer and it's high time for me to review it. 

For those unaware, Lee has been selling his Tuff Truks for some time, but this Mini Pier Truk is a new product. The principle is the same - an extremely robust mobile trolley with a pier (or stand for tripod) for the customers' astronomical mounts. Only the footprint is smaller. (The website gives the dimensions, and plenty of pictures.  Also on Facebook and Instagram)

IMG_2721.JPG.d5f47ef12705df5fdfb3196a58d8385d.JPG

Well, it completely lives up to expectations. The trolley is easy to move around in all directions once you get the right technique in pulling and pushing, and for me it is particularly important getting around tight corners along paths etc. The  tyred wheels mean you can negotiate quite bumpy surfaces without significantly disturbing the mount even with a scope installed (I use an 80mm or 100mm refractor, on AZEQ5, although EQ6 or equivalent may perhaps be more appropriate, even on the mini truk), and this means real portability of a full system - you can have everything set and wired up before. You should know though that even the mini pier truk "weighs a ton" alone, so there is no other easy practical portability beyond the use of the trolley itself. 

In use, with the sturdy leg-levelling stands screwed down, it's very stable indeed - including for long focal lengths in some wind. I'm not an advanced astrophotographer, but I would have no worries that this pier would be a rate-limiting step. 

Support for the product is exceptional - this is a small company and Lee was brilliant throughout the purchase.  I think I was the first customer for this particular mini truk. He delivered the truk personally, and actually improved on some small features of the design after seeing it in situ in my outhouse - took it back to Yorkshire and returned it soon later. 

The whole point of this equipment is practical portability and storage - this mini tuff truk fits through a normal door opening and can be stored in quite a small space. You will need to do your homework on exactly how much room is available for a good storage and manoeuvrability individual setup, but I'm sure Lee will help with this sort of thing.

AstroTUFFTRUK

Facebook

Astro TUFF TRUK Ltd. (@astrotufftruk) • Instagram photos and videos

Five stars all round! 

Peter Houtman

Leicestershire, UK

Edited by Peterh1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the fabulous review Peter, it means everything to hear how our TRUK's are helping people make their hobby as accessible, and easy as possible to just get out there and enjoy as much time doing a session, as against setting up and tearing down hindering one. Appreciated.

Best wishes, the ATT Team.

I saw a selection of their products at the 2023 Practical Astro Show.
It all looked very well built and finished to a very high standard.
They explained some of the construction to me and it was obvious they want to continue to make a first rate product.
I am not in the market at present for any of their products.
However, if I need a standard, or custom astro trolley, no prizes for guessing who will get asked. 

• Thanks 1

What a great product. I saw these at PAS and was very impressed. 

Would be a great idea for a large Dob. Instead of having a roll-off shed, just have a normal shed and one of these.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 11:58, Mr Spock said:

What a great product. I saw these at PAS and was very impressed. 

Would be a great idea for a large Dob. Instead of having a roll-off shed, just have a normal shed and one of these.

We like that idea ;) role out scope instead of roll off roof 👍here is FLO's very one Grant's large Dob TRUK. Thanks for the lovely comment Mike, please come and see us again at the PAS in March if you are going, would be nice to put a face to a name.

20221215_100725.jpg