Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 13th January

IDM

The weather on the 13th seemed pretty good given how poor it has been of late so I had another go at capturing Jupiter. I took quite a few 60 second videos, stacked and processed as normal but when I reviewed the stacked images many of them had a rather horrible orange/brown cast. So I ended up taking the 4 best and putting them through Winjupos and Astrosurface. The result is attached. I was pleased to finally clearly capture the giant red spot, but was slightly disappointed by the overall quality.

Ian

2024-01-13-1752_4 min win 2.3j.jpeg

• Like 5

Nicely captured Ian, but there's an artefact on the left limb, which may have come from WinJupos, so I'm wondering what LD value you used for derotation, also whether you used manual derotation?

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Excellent capture and some details coming through Ian. I am not sure the yellow hue is true. Did colour balance not sort it?

I did use colour  balance but if anything it seemed to make it worse. I don’t understand quite where it came from.

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Nicely captured Ian, but there's an artefact on the left limb, which may have come from WinJupos, so I'm wondering what LD value you used for derotation,

I used an LD of 1. Kon has mentioned to me previously about possibly reducing it to 0.7, which does reduce the attract but when I used it I thought the image became more blurred. Though maybe it was my imagination, I may try reprocessing. 

thanks for the feedback.

Ian

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IDM said:

I used an LD of 1. Kon has mentioned to me previously about possibly reducing it to 0.7, which does reduce the attract but when I used it I thought the image became more blurred. Though maybe it was my imagination, I may try reprocessing. 

thanks for the feedback.

Ian

It's worth experimenting with the LD. I change mine sometimes, but usually between 0.65 amd 0.8, so Kostas suggestion of 0.7 seems good to me.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IDM said:

I did use colour  balance but if anything it seemed to make it worse. I don’t understand quite where it came from.

Looking at the rgb in Registax the blue channel is way off. Did you change the white balance during capture settings at all (accidentally?)

image.jpeg.d6145aaf6da4751f07cc0fabd724c836.jpeg

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kon said:

Looking at the rgb in Registax the blue channel is way off. Did you change the white balance during capture settings at all (accidentally?)

I am not aware that I did but it’s possible as the videos were all similar.

36 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Lovely image Ian. I also used to suffer from the dreaded yellow hue but thankfully have now overcome it.

Thank you for the kind words. What did you do to overcome the yellow hue?

9 hours ago, IDM said:

Thank you for the kind words. What did you do to overcome the yellow hue?

When first opening the image in Registax I immediately do the RGB align and then then the auto balance directly to the right of it. That usually corrects it for me, but on the occasion it doesn't seem quite right I can tweak the individual colour balances. I then slightly adjust the saturation until I get a natural look I am happy with. Good luck 👍.

Ian