Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another under-rated nebula? Sh2-280.

This appeared just below the Rosette on our Samyang Orion-Monoceros mosaic so we had a closer look with the RASA. It looks like a smaller Flying Bat nebula - a Flying Pipistrelle, perhaps? :grin: Like Lower's Nebula, this is big, bright and rarely seen in boradband images. Too many famous neighbours, maybe?

Capture and pre-processing, Paul Kummer/ My post processing. 120x3 min subs.

spacer.png

To see it in context, here's the link to the mega-mosaic with these data blended in.  https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Emission-Nebulae/i-TqBkb24/A

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 11

Great to see it in broadband Olly! Sh2-280 and 282 are actually not much imaged at all. They are a bit low on my horizon but I had a go at them a month ago with the NBZ filter.

Cheers, Göran

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Great to see it in broadband Olly! Sh2-280 and 282 are actually not much imaged at all. They are a bit low on my horizon but I had a go at them a month ago with the NBZ filter.

Cheers, Göran

The lower nebula in particular really shines with the filter. These are good objects.

Olly