Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Questions about Prediction Model predicting effects of Solar Flares on satellites. Please ask question.

Two fellow students and I are entering a science competition in the new year.  Something we are judged on is ability to interact and answer questions from judges as well as the general public. ( I can't reveal too much about our methodology as it is against the rules of the competition to display method or results prior to the exhibition :( ) What I will say is that we took Solar Images using a hydrogen alpha telescope and used these images to simulate flare ejections using the future positions of sunspots, then used this to determine what the effects will be on earth. Asking any question on our project or related space weather in general would be greatly appreciated as it will help us prepare for questioning from judges and the public.

Feel free to ask.

A.P

• 2 weeks later...

( I can't reveal too much about our methodology as it is against the rules of the competition to display method or results prior to the exhibition :( )

Of course you can't reveal too much about your methodology because the phrase doesn't make sense! Does a biology student reveal their 'biology?' What you are not allowed to reveal is your method. It shouldn't, but this use of 'methodology' to mean 'method' drives me raving nuts!!!

:grin:lly

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

What you are not allowed to reveal is your method. It shouldn't, but this use of 'methodology' to mean 'method' drives me raving nuts!!!

Life is hard for perfectionists, as I was once counselled by a manager. Do what I have done, get in touch with you inner slob and relax.. 😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Do what I have done, get in touch with you inner slob and relax.. 😉

There are occasions when my missus expresses a preference for my previous less relaxed self. Only today for instance, but I won't go into detail...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Life is hard for perfectionists, as I was once counselled by a manager. Do what I have done, get in touch with you inner slob and relax.. 😉

What bugs me is the inherent pretentiousness, though. Method. Two syllables. Methodology.  Five syllables. Three of these syllables are redundant and incorrect but hey, man, five syllables have more gravitas than three, right? And, get this, if someone calls you out on it, you can slag them off as a pedant. Win-win!

Believe me, my inner slob has better things to do!!!

:grin:lly

• Like 1

Not happy with this statement I looked it up, this explanation chimes with my thoughts but that doesn't mean it is used correctly in material Olly is reading. 

I would expect a methodology to describe the approach to selecting a method amongst several and describe how the selected method is applied. 

https://www.scribbr.co.uk/faqs/method-vs-methodology/