Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on guiding set up.

Hey everyone, Happy Christmas! I was hoping to ask for some advice on a potential set up if that’s ok please. 

I have a Nikon D800 (full frame), Skywatcher AZ GTi, Skywatcher 72ED and am planning to add a guiding set up - I was thinking ZWO miniscope 30mm f/4, ZWO ASI120mm and Asiair Mini.

Do you think this would work ok and does anyone have any experience using this set up?

Many thanks in advance!

Elly

Hello @el_hop87 , I use a 50mm F/3.6 TS guidescope with a ZWO ASI 120 and a EQ6R PRO that usually caries a 102mm F/7  and a Canon EOS T2i

In choosing the guidescope I've read quite a bit , a good article was https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/734937-what-is-the-correct-the-imaging-guiding-ratio/?p=10588185 

From here I've found out about https://astronomy.tools/calculators/guidescope_suitability where I've checked my toys - 1:3.46 for me which is between 1:3 and 1:5 which according to the discussion thread is where you would like to be.

Also , from other people experience , since the advend of high quality & capability software tools , as long as your guidescope clearly sees stars you should be ok.

Can't say nothing about the Asiair Mini since I don't use one except admiting I am veeeeeery tempted to go this way too 😁  

The guidescope should be fine but save your money and get the SVbony version which is near enough exactly the same, been using it for years. Only issue is initial focus setup as you need to screw the lens out/in and it takes a while, better to roughly set it during the day, fine tune at night. Haven't used that camera but many people use it fine, with that scope I use a 224 as it's a very good camera for planetary too. The asiair mini provides the best WiFi range out of all the airs its only issue is it's a little slower at plate solving and annotating compared to the plus but this didn't bother me, I've got two, you can also power the mini with a usb power bank via usb C if youre loading it light with connected equipment, can't do that with the plus which has to have 12v in just to power it on.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I have two ASI120MM Mini guide cameras, one on the main scope and one connected to a Astro Essentials 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope on top of a Samyang 135mm f2 lens, run by the ZWO ASIAir mini and that setup works well. 

Again, roughly focus during the day and fine tune at night. There are some who say pin-point focus isn't needed for guiding, but I like to have is as near as I can because I feel is gives a better guiding. ;)

• Like 1

The guide camera is good.  The guide scope is fine but you can get cheaper equivalents.

I wouldn't use and ASIAir and would use a mini PC instead.  This way you are not locked into using ZWO astro cameras or particular brands of regular cameras..  You can choose which control software, such as NINA/APT/Other, to use.  You have more freedom.  You can remote desktop into the mini PC so you don't need a screen or keyboard attached.

If you are new to astro the Asiair is great, does most everything without issues. I still use my Asi Air Pro.

I bought the SV bony scope but the clamp  screws sheared off, usual CCC. Plus the name is embarrassing. Hopefully they have improved since then

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated! 

I think I was leaning more towards the ASIAIR mini as I’m not that tech savvy and this sounds the most straight forward/ user friendly option… planning to get second hand to keep it more affordable. 

• Like 2