Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter or Moon... why not both?

SwiMatt

Just spent a little hour on my balcony and decided to try and sketch Jupiter and the Moon for the first time. Long cooling time for my Mak and not great seeing limited me somewhat with the planet, however I am not completely disappointed with my attempt with Lunar sketching! I picked a ridge (that I haven't tracked down yet, I'm from my phone) surrounding Mare Imbrium in a view that contained also Copernicus. Lovely sight!

20231222_233129.jpg

20231222_233134.jpg

• Like 12

20 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Just spent a little hour on my balcony and decided to try and sketch Jupiter and the Moon for the first time. Long cooling time for my Mak and not great seeing limited me somewhat with the planet, however I am not completely disappointed with my attempt with Lunar sketching! I picked a ridge (that I haven't tracked down yet, I'm from my phone) surrounding Mare Imbrium in a view that contained also Copernicus. Lovely sight!

20231222_233129.jpg

20231222_233134.jpg

I haven’t dared try sketching the complete moon yet. Maybe I will give it a go. I think your technique of simplifying it has a lot of potential. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Richard N said:

I haven’t dared try sketching the complete moon yet. Maybe I will give it a go. I think your technique of simplifying it has a lot of potential. 

I tried to do what I normally do when sketching non-astro subjects: put down simple shapes first, add details and shadowing later. It takes some trust, since the drawing looks terrible and flat during 90% of the process 🤣

And at the end it looked just a little bit less horrible...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

Great sketches 👍

Have you thought about insulating your Mak ?

I have but normally I remember to put it out beforehand, or I walk long emough with it that the cooling time elft corresponds to my dark adaptation time.. yesterday however was impromptu :)

I might consider it more seriously if it happens a couple more times!