NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQmod cable vs USB

ninjageezer

There is no difference.  If you have a mount with a USB -B port then it saves the expense of using an EQDIR cable as its not needed.  The TTL 232 serial to USB conversion chip that you find in an EQDIR cable is already mounted on the mounts main board and connected to the USB port.

eqmod cables are normally 9600 baud and the new onboard serial chips are faster (115200 etc).  But the decider might be whether the driver keeps the com port saved, the internal may be a Prolific chipset and a lot of USB Serial adapter cables use the FTDI chipset (which a lot of people prefer).

But if price is the main objective then a standard USB printer cable wins. 

The other consideration is the USB printer cable is a looser push fit.  Whereas the USB serial cables connect to the handset port  - with a click in connection that is less likely to get pulled out in usage.

The other consideration is the USB printer cable is a looser push fit.  Whereas the USB serial cables connect to the handset port  - with a click in connection that is less likely to get pulled out in usage.

This was my main concern ... i have been on usb for the last year but did start out on Eqmod......wanted the general consensus .

A mount with a USB port has both options as mentioned.  Use a USB A-B cable and the built in 232 TTL serial to USB chipset, which as mentioned is predominantly made by Prolific which needs a dedicated driver under windows.  Or purchase an FTDI based EQDIR cable to replace the handset.  The speed difference of 9600 compared to 115200 baud is not really anything to be concerned over as there is very little two way traffic.  There is a risk that the movement of the mount could mean the USB cable gets disconnected, especially if the rig is set up and broken down each session as the socket would ware over time.

Regardless of connection, the mount is seen as a virtual com port under windows.  FTDI drivers are built in to windows so installation of an EQDIR cable is straight forward plug and play.  The USB requires a 3rd party driver to be installed, but again, nothing complicated.  Under windows control can be via EQMOD or Green Swamp Server (GSS).

I used to run my AZ-EQ6 (and EQM35 before it) with a USB cable plugged to the bottom of the handset, but i switched back to a EQ mod cable because there were occasionally some communication issues with the mount.

The mount would report to nina that its 3 degrees off according to plate solving, which it was. But the next slew went 3 degrees further off target, and the next one 3 degrees more again and again. This didnt happen every time, but switching back to EQmod made it disappear completely. This seems to be a rare issue with no mention online, so could be anything but everything points to the issue being some sort of USB gremlin.

So i would not recommend the USB route, at least not through the handset.

I have an older AZ-EQ6 without a dedicated USB on board so use the FTDI eqmod cable.

I also have a newer EQ6-R with the onboard USB , so just use that direct with a usb cable.

Can't see any difference in the 2 systems , both work well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

what do you guys prefer and why ?

Bit of a daft question really... they both achieve the same result, and is only applicable to those with mounts that have the new generation of ARM based motor boards that also have the USB fitted.

49 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

I have an older AZ-EQ6 without a dedicated USB on board so use the FTDI eqmod cable.

I also have a newer EQ6-R with the onboard USB , so just use that direct with a usb cable.

Can't see any difference in the 2 systems , both work well.

This basically says it all

• Like 2