NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skymax 180 ota question

M40

I have recently flocked the inside of the skymax tube and have been a bit puzzled over something. This is a picture I took of the inside of the tube when I was carrying out tge work.

Ota.thumb.jpg.c947246b43cb7c0fb51e6d4c0e29fa0e.jpg

So my question is this, are the little white dots part of the internal paint process or are they a result of me keeping the telescope in the garage for the last 3-4 years? The garage is not heated so its at outside temperature give or take and there is never any sign of condensation on the telescopes.

Looking through the lens, I have never noticed these before but then I never looked that hard. When I rubbed them with my finger, nothing smeared or changed. Anybody got any thoughts? Anybody else have the same?

All the best 

I too get similar white dots on mirrors that I keep in the only-slightly-heated utility room. They don’t come off with cleaning or any solvents I’ve used including acetone. But they do come off with a fingernail I’ve discovered. I too would like to know what it is. Can Lichen get started under such conditions I wonder? Spider excrement has also crossed my mind. As a result I keep my newts vertically mirror downwards-facing now.

Magnus

Hi I just took my MAK apart to flock it and it does not have any white flecks it's a year old stored outside in a cold shed it's in a storage bag with the duel speed focuser stuck out of the bag but it does have a Desiccant cap in the back of the focuser  if that makes the difference I think it does as it makes it a closed tube 

Edited by Neil H
More info