NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help! Webcam astrophotography!

Hello everyone!

I got a 720×1280 webcam yesterday and thinking how to fix it and also I have a SW Starquest 130p. I've heard about prime focus and afocal astrophotography. 

My questions are,

• What would be good for me, prime focused or afocal?
  • Can I get DSOs with prime focused?
  • Can I get high magnifications with prime focused?

Hoping for responses!

Nikolai.

Edited by Nikolai De Silva

Hi Nikolai

Way back before budget astro cams were available, it was popular to modify a particular Philips webcam that happened to have a CCD imaging chip.

That enabled the long exposures that imaging dim DS Objects requires.

Most current webcams will only expose up to about 1 second, so are best used for Planetary imaging.

As bosun suggests, record video files that can be Stacked in Autostakkert.

You will need a long focal length to "magnify" the tiny target that is a planet.

Either by a long focal length telescope, or afocal imaging using an eyepiece to magnify the image from the telescope.

Michael

• Like 2

Afocal you use the webcam to capture what is showing in the eyepiece

Prime focus you use the webcam where you've removed the webcam lens and fabricate the webcam too fit in the telescope focus tube where you would normally fit an eyepiece, in this way the telescope works like a large lens.

What webcam have you got?

• Like 1

Apologies in advance, but how are you going to attach it to the telescope?

The type of Phillips webcam that @michael8554 refers to is/was the ToUcam series. Note that early ToUcam series webcams will need to be flashed and firmware upgraded for use with MS-Windows 10 [32bit & 64bit] and above.

• Like 1

Converting webcams into astro cameras was a 'thing' some years ago, but nowadays one can buy dedicated astro cameras (e.g. the ZWO range) which on the whole perform better and come ready to use.  There are also some extremely cheap astro cameras on ebay, but they may not be very good...

To image DSOs you will probably need more sophisticated equipment in the form of a mount that tracks, a suitable telescope and software that (at minimum) performs live-stacking.  All this is potentially very expensive.   Imaging planets or the Moon might be a more achievable goal.

BTW, the first planetary astro camera I bought was a budget one. It was awful, and now I can't even give it away.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nikolai De Silva said:

@Cosmic Geoff I got that webcam (720×1280) and budget is limited. As I went through the internet, I felt prime focus is good. Now looking to do it.

For the planets you should consider using a barlow lens as 650mm focal length isn't really enough for the planets. Just place the barlow in your focuser and the webcam into the barlow.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

For the planets you should consider using a barlow lens as 650mm focal length isn't really enough for the planets. Just place the barlow in your focuser and the webcam into the barlow.

Yes, we have a 5x Barlow! That is good (not branded) and reasonable in views. Ok I'll do it.

Thanks!