Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrade my portable tripod

SwiMatt

It became apparent to me that I would like to get a less wobbly set up. For context, I bought a SkyWatcher Skymax (Mak) 127, which came bundled with the AZ5 mount on the "light" aluminum tripod. The set up is perfect for me since I need to walk about 10-15 minutes to my typical observation place in the middle of the woods - to escape the pesky street lights that litter my neighborhood. I put OTA, mount and accessories in a backpack and the tripod on a shoulder - the total weight of all this is 8.6 kg. However, it's also quite a wobbly set-up, and from reviews here and there I seem to understand that it boils down to the tripod - which I'm now thinking of upgrading with priority.

The AZ5 can also come with a steel version of the tripod which I heard is very sturdy but it is 7kg by itself (5kg more than the aluminum tripod). However, while looking at lighter options I found the StellaLyra carbon fiber tripod, which seems perfect for my needs (and it even comes with a bag to carry it in it) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/stellalyra-carbon-fibre-tripod-with-38-thread.html. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this tripod. It's a bit more expensive than the Skywatcher steel tripod, but I don't think I can get away with the weight of the steel one - even though I don't have to walk long. I don't expect the StellaLyra to actually carry 40kg, but I wonder if it would hold sturdily the 6 or so kg of the AZ5 + Skymax 127.

If you have other suggestions around a similar price (< 300£), and with similar weight / comfort to carry, I'm willing to hear it :)

I've steered away from "astro" carbon fibre tripods because they tend to be more expensive than their photographic equivalent. If you can find an adaptor plate to suit the mount like I have for my Gem28, Innorel carbon fibre tripods are very good. Mines an NT364, gives similar performance to my Berlebach Uni 4 and I image with it so any performance concerns would be far higher than when doing visual.

Carbon fibre tripods used to be much cheaper just 2-3 years ago, I bought a smaller Leofoto at a similar price to an aluminium one back then.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

That looks quite similar to my Innorel RT90C which has become my main tripod.  Quite light and portable.  My heaviest scope was about 5.5kg and I used an SW AZ5 with it before switching to mainly using a ScopeTech Zero (and selling that scope 😏).

FWIW.

• Like 1