Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More pastel sketches

SwiMatt

I just went out to sketch and took some time on M31. I'm quite happy with the result, although probably the galaxy's borders looked a bit less sharp than my sketch in the eyepiece. Still, I love this technique! 

I will keep this thread for other pastel sketches I will do in the next sessions, so that I don't open a new thread for each sketch 😂

20231201_172029.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Sooo happy about these two! I got M13 and M15 one after the other. Deciding to sketch both in a row was painful due to how cold it got outside, but I got just right how more diffuse M13 was with respect to M15, while the latter was brighter in the center. 

20231201_191332.jpg

• Like 11

The Ring Nebula is a difficult object to sketch, I find. It's my second attempt at this object, (the first was with pencils) and I always find it difficult to render the subtly resolved disk on paper. It is also in a lovely field of stars.

Interestingly, I also found it easier to resolve stars and focus on M57 by removing my glasses (I generally observe with glasses due to slight astigmatism - also it's harder to sketch that way) 🤔

20231202_181348.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Fabulous sketches of your observations Matt. I absolutely love your rendition of M27, it really is excellent! ☺️👍

Thank you @mikeDnight! It means a lot coming from you 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlcorAlly said:

Beautiful! My favourite was the Dumbbell nebula. Thank you for sharing! 

Thanks @AlcorAlly! Mine too. I never get to see the Dumbell in such detail from home, unfortunately... 

ooo pastels are exceptional at this task and you wield them well. all of them look... well... nebulous! and soft. very lovely! the original of m31 is my favorite of the bunch

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YogSothoth said:

Great work there. Sketching at the eyepiece is very rewarding.

It is. And also slightly addictive, judging on my current restlessness :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are an exceptionally good observer Matt, and I'm glad you feel a slight addiction to sketching, as that means we're going to get to see more of your sketches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

You are an exceptionally good observer Matt, and I'm glad you feel a slight addiction to sketching, as that means we're going to get to see more of your sketches.

You're too good @mikeDnight :) thank you! I'm loving your work too, and I'm inspired by all the good work of the incredibly talented sketchers of SGL! 

• Like 2