NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M36 with pastels

SwiMatt

Auriga was one of the first constellations that I got to know when I started my adventure as a visual astronomer back in Spring. Unfortunately I didn't manage to catch the open clusters there before summer, so I had to wait until now. It was quite cold outside, so of the three Messiers there I only found and sketched M36, using soft pastels on black paper for the first time. This was also my first skecth on the field - that is, not from my balcony where I have a table and every comfort.

20231130_212900-01.jpeg

• Like 16

9 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Very nice!  I live in such heavy LP that M37 and M38 are often difficult to find with my smaller scopes.

It's the same for me! But I'm lucky to be spending 10 days in Bortle 4-5 skies (although the first 5 days it was cloudy). I count on making some other sketches later this week! 

7 hours ago, lunator said:

Very good sketch 🙂.

You have captured M36 really well

Cheers

Ian

Thank you Ian! It means a lot :)

3 hours ago, josefk said:

Very nice @SwiMatt - i was working my way over to M36 last night but didn't quite make it - this is compensation enough 😉 

Thank you! What stopped you?

I'm hoping to catch M37 and/or M38 tonight if conditions are still good :)

err.. my finder was icing up and slowing me down as i hopped in across a couple of other much smaller clusters [NGC 1647 and NGC 1662) coming from the Hyades and Aldebaran but as i got to M38 finally (from where i would have come down the classic Messier set here) - also my objective was beginning to get frosty so i beat a hasty retreat. i didn't have dew bands on. 🥶

Edited by josefk
  • Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 12:54, josefk said:

err.. my finder was icing up and slowing me down as i hopped in across a couple of other much smaller clusters [NGC 1647 and NGC 1662) coming from the Hyades and Aldebaran but as i got to M38 finally (from where i would have come down the classic Messier set here) - also my objective was beginning to get frosty so i beat a hasty retreat. i didn't have dew bands on. 🥶

Damn! Unlucky, but kudos for the valiant effort. I might give a go to M37 and M38 again tonight, if the clouds allow... although sketching globulars is more satisfying I believe ;)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, josefk said:

@SwiMatt

I do have a sketch myself of the double cluster that will never see the light of day 🤣  yes I do believe globular clusters are a tad easier than open ones. 

Haha well, I would tell you that I'd be happy to see it, but I understand that some sketches are "delicate" - so to speak ;)

• Haha 1