NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Too many beginner/portable/budget telescopes to pick from!

Hello! I'm a physicist working on black holes who incredibly managed to stay away from astronomy for far too long! I wanted to get started with a beginner telescope without too much fancy stuff, so I can learn my way around the sky (For example, no computer mounts so I can learn how to find objects on my own). I also enjoy camping and hiking so I was looking for something that can fit in a hiking backback. Also, I'd like to spend less than $300 total since this will be a hobby and I can't spend that much.

Under these specifications, I started looking and I found too many options! Here's is a list of telescopes that people have called beginner, portable and simple (straightforward refractor telescope, no equatorial mount or computer mounts)

- Celestron Astromaster 80azs

- Celestron Powerseeker 80azs

- Celestron Travel Scope 80

- Orion CT80

- Orion GoScope 80

- Orion Observer ST80

- Orion Shorttube 80 (not made anymore but I could find one online maybe?)

What is the difference between these models? They are all 80mm diameter, 400mm focal length, roughly the same size, and similar AZ mount (except Orion Observer), with roughly the same magnification (from 10x to 160x approximately). Do people have strong preference for some of this over another? Why would celestron and Orion have so many models that, at first glance, have exactly the same specifications?

If I can ask one more thing, I also noticed these two telescopes on the slightly better magnification and such. Do people consider these somewhat portable? Would they fit in a backpack to go hiking? Would they be better beginner options compared to the previous list?

- Orion starblast II 4.5 (Actually a refelctor and EQ mount but I feel it kinda also fits my needs)

- Celestron inspire 100az

Thanks so much!

It can be quite bewildering when first starting. I'm not familiar with those scopes but you may find that some are actually the same scope just branded differently. Others will be along shortly to offer advise. 

It depends on how big your bag is to what you might consider portable! What one person thinks is portable may be very different to others. Probably the best way to asses portability would be to visit a shop if you have one nearby or find a local astro society where you can physically some. 

Whatever scope you choose, it might be worth factoring in same of your budget for upgrading the eyepieces. The ones which come with them are usually not great. 

Good luck on your journey

Simon

• Like 2

Only Takahashi telescopes can see black holes. Recommended.

(More helpfully, though, I'd also consider a good pair of 10x50 binoculars for your purposes of taking the instrument along on hikes and learning the night sky.)

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

A backpack portable scope for $300 is a challenge. 

A used ST80 (Orion/Celestron/Skywatcher, they're all the same) mounted on a photographic travel tripod with a pan and tilt head and an 8-24mm zoom eyepiece might just fit the bill. It won't be able to give high magnification, close-up views of the planets but would be excellent for low-power views of the starry night-sky when out on camping trips.

• Like 1

300 USD will definitely be a struggle. You CAN get a scope setup for that much but whether it'll be any use is another matter, adding in the need for compact or hiking requirements adds further complication. For that budget a lot of us spend it on a tripod alone which is the most important thing in the setup in addition to the mount the optics are mounted onto. The suggestion of binoculars is a good one, for a good viewing experience get ones which can be tripod mounted (see a theme here?). Handheld without image stabilization, or poor tripod mounted setups are an effort in futility unless you like looking at shaky starfields. It's not bad doing it handheld, but you won't allow your eyes to adapt to what theyre seeing if the view is constantly moving around.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Hi there, the 80's are better for back-packing, but the Orion starblast II 4.5 and Celestron inspire 100az are better in my opinion, the advantage of these is NOT because they necessarily give more magnification as most observational astronomy is done at lower powers, but because the larger aperture allows you to see more fainter objects - so in my mind, if you can fit the 100's in your back-pack, then go for one of these.  We have a saying on SGL: 'Aperture is King'.  Good luck!

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 3

Hello, I recently purchased an Astronomers without Borders OneSky that I have some difficulty getting to stay on target, so I ordered a "beginner" telescope to get used to aiming a scope. After much reading and shopping, I settled on the Popular Science version of the Celestron 80AZS, from Celestron's website (it also has some extras not included in the "plain" Astromaster package). I also ordered an SVBony dielectric diagonal to do an upgrade from the included prism diagonal. The 80AZS is on sale right now for 150$ (USA) and the diagonal was another 40$. It came in yesterday, and I couldn't be more pleased. The aiming is more intuitive, and I don't seem to have any odd color fringes on the moon, Jupiter, or Saturn. I didn't get a case for it, but they have them for sale on Amazon for up to another 100$. All told that would be right to the top of your budget. Hope this helps, as I am a beginner myself. 

• Like 2

On 28/11/2023 at 06:09, Kerrschild said:

Hello! I'm a physicist working on black holes who incredibly managed to stay away from astronomy for far too long! I wanted to get started with a beginner telescope without too much fancy stuff, so I can learn my way around the sky (For example, no computer mounts so I can learn how to find objects on my own). I also enjoy camping and hiking so I was looking for something that can fit in a hiking backback. Also, I'd like to spend less than $300 total since this will be a hobby and I can't spend that much.

Under these specifications, I started looking and I found too many options! Here's is a list of telescopes that people have called beginner, portable and simple (straightforward refractor telescope, no equatorial mount or computer mounts)

- Celestron Astromaster 80azs

- Celestron Powerseeker 80azs

- Celestron Travel Scope 80

- Orion CT80

- Orion GoScope 80

- Orion Observer ST80

- Orion Shorttube 80 (not made anymore but I could find one online maybe?)

What is the difference between these models? They are all 80mm diameter, 400mm focal length, roughly the same size, and similar AZ mount (except Orion Observer), with roughly the same magnification (from 10x to 160x approximately). Do people have strong preference for some of this over another? Why would celestron and Orion have so many models that, at first glance, have exactly the same specifications?

If I can ask one more thing, I also noticed these two telescopes on the slightly better magnification and such. Do people consider these somewhat portable? Would they fit in a backpack to go hiking? Would they be better beginner options compared to the previous list?

- Orion starblast II 4.5 (Actually a refelctor and EQ mount but I feel it kinda also fits my needs)

- Celestron inspire 100az

Thanks so much!

In theory, as you've pointed out they are all very similar (mostly made in the same factory I suspect too)

Out of the 80mm scopes I'd say the Orion ST80, slightly better build quality in regards to focuser etc, but optics in all are very much the same.

The refractors travel better and are less likely to lose collimation than say the Starblast 4.5, although it is a great little scope, I have the dobsonian version and love it after a couple of tweaks.

However, I'm going to throw a curveball in here, what about adding binoculars into the mix? Some great info here - https://binocularsky.com/ easier to cart around if you do a lot of hiking etc.

The used market is well worth a look, 80mm refractors and binoculars appear often, if you are patience there are still come good deals to be had 👍

• Like 1

+1 for 10x50 binoculars, but always one to be different, I am going to throw in for good measure, a good zoom spotting scope to go with the binoculars.

Both can be tripod mounted so that goes on the shopping list too. The binoculars are always a good idea to help you find things then change up to the spotting scope, which will give you a surprisingly good view of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Both are also very good on scenery and some spotting scopes come with a mobile phone holder. All the best.

• Like 1

Among other scopes, I have the Meade version of the ST80.  It's pretty light and portable for camping.  I did upgrade the focuser which added a couple pounds to it.  Also, since it was only about $US 100, I don't worry much about anything happening to it.  I've used it on a photo tripod, but prefer a light weight alt-az mount.

It does ok on the moon if I stop down the aperture, but I wouldn't recommend it for planets.  YMMV.

If your budget allows, you might want to look into some fast ED doublets - better glass and still not overly heavy or long.  I have an AT72EDii which I love, but the vendor doesn't ship outside the US / Canada AFAIK.

BTW, Kerr and Schwarzschild?  Very clever!  😊

Edited by jjohnson3803