Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn form 25/11/23

IDM

I only get a 30 minute window where Saturn appears from behind my neighbours house before going into the trees! So I keep trying to get a half decent image. However, this is proving difficult. I hoped the jet stream might have moved out the way for things to be better. Anyway this was the best I could using 3 min videos captured at about 190FPS, prior to processing through PIPP, best 10% of frames stacked with Autostakkert and sharpened with Registax. 

I find Saturn hard to process due to lack of surface detail so appreciate any comments and feedback.

Ian

17.56.42_251123 Saturn P10 First-DeNoiseAI-clear.png

• Like 8

You did well Ian, given your short capture window, northerly location and challenging weather conditions. Saturn is still too low from our northerly location to extract much detail and at an elevaton where it will suffer from significant atmoshperic dispersion, unless you use an ADC. The good news is that Saturn is slowly climing north, so the next few years will become easier, though the rings will be closed to us in a couple of years, which will be interesting to see, but of course it's the rings that make Saturn such a special object to see and/or image.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kon said:

Good effort on Saturn under our current conditions. Do you use an ADC, it should help quite a bit at the low elevation.

I do have an ADC, but, rather embarrassingly, I didn't use it, as I currently feel quite rushed to get the captures done before Saturn disappears into the trees. I really should fit it and us it if only to get the practice. 

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

I was thinking of trying to re-process the image using Astrosurface as it appears to have a very comprehensive set of sharpening and denoise tools, but before just 'having a go' I wondered if there were any good tutorials that could be recommended? I saw some on You tube but I wasn't sure which was likely to be the most informative.

Thanks,

Ian

48 minutes ago, IDM said:

I was thinking of trying to re-process the image using Astrosurface as it appears to have a very comprehensive set of sharpening and denoise tools, but before just 'having a go' I wondered if there were any good tutorials that could be recommended? I saw some on You tube but I wasn't sure which was likely to be the most informative.

Thanks,

Ian

I scoured YouTube for tutorials on Astrosurface and basically only found the same basic ones as yourself. I've just been experimenting with the settings and resetting things when they go awry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDM said:

Thanks,

Ian

I didn't find any very good tutorials, so it's been trial and error for me. Mostly I just use the HF wavelets, pre-noise filter and a little NR. Here are some typical settings for me.

image.thumb.png.7621e10a6142060905fce1d4319b44e2.png

I experimented with Wiener Decon, but currently am not using it. The Wavelets LF settings were from my methane band processing, but I did not use those for my colour or IR images. My Wavelets HF settings range between a size of 8-12 and strength 15-25, with lower numbers in excellent seeing. Sometimes I don't use any NR, just the Noise prefilter.

After wavelets, I do run RGB align as Astrosurface makes sub pixel adjustments which I like and I will apply a little colour saturation maybe 10-20 on the sliding scale...

image.png.2fded2e6934940eb9f343c0baf0c15f6.png

Of course every image is different and YMMV.

Good luck.

Edited by geoflewis
removed duplicate screenshot
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I didn't find any very good tutorials, so it's been trial and error for me. Mostly I just use the HF wavelets, pre-noise filter and a little NR. Here are some typical settings for me.

Thank you so much for the guidance. I will investigate tomorrow.

Ian

• Like 1