NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best time to start imaging

Hi Tim,

Well, first off, I assume you mean what time in the evening? If so, assuming it’s clear skies, then as soon as it turns Astro dark I am imaging. At the moment, that’s about 5.30pm, summer time that can be 11.30pm. The Clear Outside app for a phone shows this (free app made by FLO). 

With regards to telescope, this will depend on:

1. What equipment do you already have? If you already have a mount then this will limit your payload capacity - and size of scope.
  2. Do you have a camera already? It’s often best to pair a camera with a suitable telescope.
  3. Whats your budget?
  4. What do you intend to image? Galaxies will require longer focal length scopes - circa 750mm +, nebulae generally require smaller focal lengths but some larger galaxies are also doable - circa 200mm-400mm focal length. Planetary imaging (solar system objects) require a different scope again - something like 1500mm + with a Barlow.

When I started observations back in early 70's Edinburgh there were still a lot of domestic coal fires and evening viewing was a challenge. Not only were fainter objects dimmed the old yellow street lighting reflected back and dimmed things further by glare.

The early mornings were far clearer and transparent ,it was lovely.

I now live in the country and the domestic smoke and smog has gone but I still maintain even now that the last few hours before Sunrise if it stays clear are usually more crystal clear than any other time.