Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are these two Mak 127 telescopes the same but rebranded ?

Hi all,I hope you are all well. I'm looking for a 127 Mak as my first telescope and was curious if the Celestron Astromaster 127EQ Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope is basically the same telescope as the Sky-watcher skymax 127 but under a different name,as i believe they used to be both manufactured by Synta.

I have seen lots of positive feedback regarding the skymax 127 mak but  the Celestron 127 Mak hasn't been mentioned, there is a massive difference in price between them which was making me question if they are the same telescope rebranded.

You can pick up the Celestron Astromaster 127EQ Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope with a basic eq tripod for £300  whereas the sky watcher Mak 127 ota is  £326.

https://www.jessops.com/p/celestron/astromaster-127eq-maksutov-cassegrain-telescope-204990?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAjfyqBhAsEiwA-UdzJAtWcv-9FTmyxRd8G10I7iCrwAoX7vEtCArwTNLyqEudWd7wCtJFWBoCWpAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

I appreciate that the supplied tripod on the Celestron wouldn't  be of any decent quality but as an introduction  and temporary  measure to viewing  the planets and the moon  i could  purchase a more stable tripod as the passion grows.

Thank you in advance for looking and for giving any advice,

clear skies, Steve

The telescopes are the same, Synta own both Skywatcher and Celestron, many of Celestron's reflectors and refractors were supplied by Synta long before Synta bought Celestron. The difference in price appears to be that the Celestron version is mounted on an Eq2 mount and is being sold at a heavily discounted price. Whether the EQ2 mount it capable of holding the mak is another matter.

The Celestron 127mm Mak and the Skywatcher 127mm Mak are essentially the same. You won't see so many reviews of the Celestron, as in most packages the Celestron is priced significantly higher so not to many are sold.  I have the Celestron 127mm Mak and it is a fine instrument, a 'keeper'.   

I would not recommend the EQ-2 mount though, except as a stop-gap, as I formerly had an EQ-2 clone and found it wobbly even with a 700x70mm refractor mounted on it.

I agree with the above comments, that mount looks a little bit insubstantial.

FLO sell the SW 127 on an EQ3-2 mount, though, as you say, for quite a bit more.  They do have a discounted ex-demo item at the moment.

By the way, even with the Skywatcher model, there are two versions of the 127 OTA.  One is sold bundled with a mount, the other is normally sold on its own.  The optics are identical, but the bundled version is slightly lighter, lacks collimation screws (though the Maks hold their collimation very well in any case) and has its dovetail in a different position.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post and answering my question. 

It is as I thought regarding the two Maks being the same instrument. 

The decision is now whether to get the cheaper Celestron deal or purchase the skywatcher skymax with the gti mount and goto capability. A nice dilemma to have in this day and age.

Off to a star gazing event at the Lickey Hills visitor centre tonight  in South Birmingham,Uk.

Thanks again for your help and advice,,,Steve