Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PIPP export file sizes.

nickp87

Hey all.

New to using PIPP to convert my files from MOV to AVI and have a question regarding file size.

I took a 1.3GB 40,000 frame video from my DSLR, ran it through PIPP and it spat out a 90GB file, is this normal? I expected a file of roughly the same size.

Cheers

It seems odd, but some numbers might help someone here put a finger of the problem. 

What is the size of the images, in pixels? Exposure time for each image? Length of video in seconds? Why is your camera saving the video as a MOV? Isn't that an Apple format?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

It seems odd, but some numbers might help someone here put a finger of the problem. 

What is the size of the images, in pixels? Exposure time for each image? Length of video in seconds? Why is your camera saving the video as a MOV? Isn't that an Apple format?

DSLRs commonly use MOV format. I think it has something to do with file format licencing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nickp87 said:

Hey all.

New to using PIPP to convert my files from MOV to AVI and have a question regarding file size.

I took a 1.3GB 40,000 frame video from my DSLR, ran it through PIPP and it spat out a 90GB file, is this normal? I expected a file of roughly the same size.

Cheers

I noticed this too recently, I was not converting the file type yet the output file size increased?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Yeah seemed a odd to me.

Image size is 1280x720

1/60's exposure time

300ish seconds long

MOV appears to be standard for canon DSLR's

I don't mind large files (but smaller are easier) I just don't understand where all that extra data is coming from. 

The figures don't seem to add up.  60x300 = 18000 frames.  (not 40000). 1280x720 x 18000  comes to about 16.6 GB (uncompressed) (not 1.3Gb).

As I understand the definition, MOV is a container for mp4 files (a compressed format) which does not seem a good choice if you actually want a RAW file to play with.

Perhaps what has happened here is that PIPP has converted the file from a compressed format to an uncompressed or less compressed one, making it bigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The figures don't seem to add up.  60x300 = 18000 frames.  (not 40000). 1280x720 x 18000  comes to about 16.6 GB (uncompressed) (not 1.3Gb).

As I understand the definition, MOV is a container for mp4 files (a compressed format) which does not seem a good choice if you actually want a RAW file to play with.

Perhaps what has happened here is that PIPP has converted the file from a compressed format to an uncompressed or less compressed one, making it bigger.

Yes sorry my mistake

The video is 12 minutes long not 5.

Unfortunately .MOV is the only option on my camera, a canon 550d

Edited by nickp87