Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - 14 Nov 2023 (interesting moon alignment missed...!!)

geoflewis

Thanks to Kostas (@Kon), who notified me of an upcoming interesting moon alignment around Jupiter yesterday evening, mainly that 3 of the galilean moons would be stacked vertically fairly close to the right of Jupiter's limb. I headed out to see it, but unfortnately had lots of cloud here so missed the event. Nevertheless having opened up the observatory, I decided to try imaging the remnants, both widefield to get all 4 gallliean moons in view (Ganymede way off to the left) and later just with Europa, Io and Callisto.

2023-11-14-2044_7-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD65_AS.thumb.jpg.2aac45ad987e0d87f04f593dab3505b0.jpg

2023-11-14-2100_3-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD65_AS_IA_AFP.jpg.f1dc38deea223620a19b466effa6b646.jpg

The wide FOV image was using the full sensor as seen through the C14, so I only just squeezed everything in. I derotated and stacked the best 1000 frames from 5x1m SERS for the wide FOV and best 1000 frames from 7x1m SERS for the closing in view.

The seeing was awful and clouds continued to plague me, hence the very soft images, eventually shutting me down completely.

Looking at the 4 moons alignment on screen whilst capturing the widefield image, I imagined that Cupid had fired an arrow through Jove - ok I've had too many late nights recently....!!🤪

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kon said:

Very nice captures and despite the conditions you seem to have got details on both Ganymede and Callisto.

Thanks Kostas, yes, I'm very surprised how well they scrubbed up. I was pretty close to deleting the lot, but stuck with it and well.....🤔

• Like 1