NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen R&P focuser 3D printed DSD AF3 motor

tooth_dr

Ki did much the same except I took off the pinion cover and used those four screws to hold the focuser motor bracket. I think you may get bending of the relatively thin bracket under load. 

I'm driving a qhy9 and 7x2" filter wheel though.

2 minutes ago, skybadger said:

Ki did much the same except I took off the pinion cover and used those four screws to hold the focuser motor bracket. I think you may get bending of the relatively thin bracket under load. 

I'm driving a qhy9 and 7x2" filter wheel though.

I normally use those screws but didnt want to with this focuser due their small diameter size and function.  I've done similiar to yours for my SW scopes but went for a completely different design here.

I'm going to be using this with a QHY268M and 7x2" EFW too when I go switch over to this scope in March for deep sky, I think that setup will be simliar to yours in terms of weight.  There isnt that much torque needed to turn the 1:12 knob, and I'd hazard a guess the motor will stall long before that bracket bends.

Fair enough but my experience so far is that those slo Mo's slip quite easily due to the small end diameter of the stalk and so it's easier and just as effective to drive off the main dial. 

You are still getting more than 200 steps per output rev of the dial.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skybadger said:

Fair enough but my experience so far is that those slo Mo's slip quite easily due to the small end diameter of the stalk and so it's easier and just as effective to drive off the main dial. 

You are still getting more than 200 steps per output rev of the dial.

I haven’t had any bother using this motor on the micro knob on my lunt focuser and my SW focuser, so I don’t anticipate anything different here.  But this hobby always has a habit of throwing a curveball.