Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Black 4.0 - finally an alternative to Vantablack?!

Droogie 2001

Some years ago I went to the Science museum in London. 
On display was a mask of sorts which has been painted in the darkest black paint ever created. What was incredible was when you looked face on you could not see any detail or geometry, just a black void. 
I believe this was Vantablack which was both very expensive and not available to the public. 
I wondered at the time if it would be a great way to use it to flock / paint inside an OTA to reduce light. 
Well there is a new black paint, version 4 to be more accurate called Black 4.0 which seems to outperform Vantablack. 
It’s not cheap but is at least viable price, 150ml for £44.99. 
I am in no way associated with the product and I’ll let people look for the link the themselves, as above it’s called “Black 4.0” and sold by culture hustle. 

The inside of my built in retractable dew shield could be an option and maybe scope manufacturers may start painting this inside their OTA in the future. 

Has anyone tried this or thinking of this as an option?

Edited by Droogie 2001

If it's truly effective, expect to see it in professional camera lenses and telescopes for glare protection haha.

Vantablack was never going to be good for telescopes because it required (IIRC) a ridiculous process to actually apply to materials. Black (2/3/4 versions) is supposedly a much nicer paint but I'm yet to see people flocking with it yet!

• Like 1