NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dovetail extension for red dot finder

Hi everyone.

Just like to share an idea I had. I have the skywatcher 127mm maksutov telescope and really struggle stooping/bending down when locating planets, star clusters ect however. I have exhausted every Internet site and cannot find any single dovetail extension to gain more height so purchased the triple dovetail mount and sawed both ends off  to leave the middle bracket and to make it lighter as it is made of heavy alloy. It is very solid with no movement what so ever and works a treat. See photos.

16995485103703687372237501109822.thumb.jpg.a0a53ecd9df052c29516ae098c958a8e.jpg16995485103703687372237501109822.thumb.jpg.a0a53ecd9df052c29516ae098c958a8e.jpg

• Like 1

I'm getting too old and stiff with a damaged neck and back to contort enough to use RDFs much anymore. As such, I added a laser sight to each of my scopes:

1404647876_NighttimeFinders5.thumb.JPG.381ac46a14d34b0263d650cc83169146.JPG

It's in the middle between the RACI finder scope and the QuikFinder.

To aim the laser, you unscrew the two knobby covers to reveal the hex aiming adjustment screws.  They're a bit wonky, but I can get it pretty close to dead on target at night.  Just point the scope at a bright planet or star and center it in an eyepiece.  Most of us have alternate aiming devices, so not too big of an issue.  Next, make adjustments in the two perpendicular axes until the laser beam is pretty much pointing at the star.  After that, you should be able to see the laser beam terminus in the eyepiece FOV.  Fine tuning aim just involves getting the terminus dead center, no star tracking required at that point.  This can't be done accurately except at night in the far distance due to parallax.  Once set, the laser sight tends to hold alignment pretty well.  Most of the error comes from unmounting and remounting it.  At the beginning of a new session, I center a bright star or planet using another aiming device.  Then, I light up the laser and note how far off the laser is from dead center and in what direction and make mental aiming adjustments based on that when aiming at new targets.  You only have to contort once per session if you're in the habit of removing the laser.  If you leave it in place, the aim will stay dead on centered.

The lasers come with a Picatinny mount.  I found a Vixen/Synta dovetail foot to Pincatinny adapter stalk on ebay.

The laser sight also came from ebay.  I recommend getting a laser powered by an 18650 battery.  This long battery has much more capacity than the shorter 16340 batteries.  I have much better luck with the 18650 powered lasers in cold weather as well as warm weather than with the 16340 powered versions I bought early on.

Be aware in the UK lasers must be 1mW or less to be legal. Also be aware that the penalty if you shine one at an aircraft, accidentally or otherwise, is up to 5 years in jail. You have to ask if it's worth the risk.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kenneth Spackman said:

Hi Louis D

Thanks for your reply.

I have knocked the red dot finder out of aliment a couple of times at night and not much fun however, Reading your great report will give another angle to reaching and finding fainter stars and clusters and I will definitely look into this.

Many thanks 

Laser sights are made entirely of metal and are extremely durable.  You'd have to use a hammer to knock it out of alignment.

13 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Be aware in the UK lasers must be 1mW or less to be legal. Also be aware that the penalty if you shine one at an aircraft, accidentally or otherwise, is up to 5 years in jail. You have to ask if it's worth the risk.

We don't know where the OP observes from.  Regardless, laser sights should always be used with caution.  I have to be careful not to blind myself with them when swapping batteries or checking for faults.  Even the reflective spot on a wall is dazzling and takes forever to fade from my vision.  I won't even mount one to a scope if anyone else is around.  I never use them at star parties.  I only use them in the privacy of my backyard when observing alone.