Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Picture orientation after meridian flip

DSOBug

I just did a meridian flip with my rig, but the picture target after was not in the same orientation.  How will this effect stacking?  I'm now learning and haven't done stacking yet  just shooting images and targets to get the hang of the asiair plus OS then ill move on to stacking and processing.  Any comments for ideas tks...  Below is my new rig i built all i need now is a filter wheel and some filters to fill it..

Redcat almost done 2.jpg

If you have everything perfectly aligned the image should flip by 180 degrees, so will have no effect on framing in the end.

Often there is cone error and/or polar alignment error so the difference in orientation is not exactly 180, but up to a few degrees below or under. In that case your pre-meridian data and post-meridian data will have a slight rotational difference which can lead to incomplete edges for the image, but typically just a small crop is all that is needed.

The closer to the celestial poles you image the worse the effects of cone error become, for example my setup had a rotational difference of 3 degrees pre/post meridian at a declination of 73, but this is on the worse end of the spectrum. In short, usually there are little to no issues with all this.

49 minutes ago, DSOBug said:

How will this effect stacking?

Hi

Not at all. The stacking app will rotate (and scale if necessary) so as to match the stars in each frame.

HTH 

Edited by alacant