Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon telescope

Hi, 

I have a Skywatcher Heritage 130p that I currently use as an all rounder. I'd like to do some moon and double star observations and have read that longer focal length telescopes are better suited for this. Would the Skywatcher skymax 127 be better than my 130p or would there not be a big enough difference to justify the cost? 

Thanks. 

For the Moon adding a barlow to your highest powered eyepiece on good nights of seeing I think could be quite a good view. The Moon 100 gives a target list of Moon features to observe. Double stars have a go see which ones you can split 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MartianHill said:

The Heritage 130P is very capable, it might be worth sticking with it.

If anything perhaps add a refractor to the mix.

The only problem with a longer focal length refractor would be having to upgrade my current mount, hence the reason I was thinking of the skymax.

7 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

For the Moon adding a barlow to your highest powered eyepiece on good nights of seeing I think could be quite a good view. The Moon 100 gives a target list of Moon features to observe. Double stars have a go see which ones you can split 

I have the supplied 25mm eyepiece as well as a bst 8mm and a celestron x2 Barlow. I guess this should help me to start the lunar 100. 

31 minutes ago, CHRlS said:

The only problem with a longer focal length refractor would be having to upgrade my current mount, hence the reason I was thinking of the skymax.

Aah, in that case I would just stay with the 130P, I don’t think the Skymax will bring anything more visually.

Also for best performance your scope needs to be well collimated and cooled.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MartianHill
  • Thanks 1

The Heritage 130 is a very capable telescope. I know a number of very experienced members of this forum who own one along with a number of other scopes and rate the ability of the Heritage very highly for both low power and high power observing.

It has loads of potential, you just need to build your experience and skills in using it 🙂

• Like 1

The 127 Maksutov is a great Lunar and planetary scope providing sharp, crisp views. However with your 130 and the addition of a barlow lens I don’t see any need to spend money buying a 127. You will also have very little cooldown time with your 130. This isn’t the case with a Maksutov.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1