Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seeking Advice on Packing Sky-Watcher Star Adventure GTI Mount and Tripod Compactly

Hello fellow astronomy enthusiasts!

I hope you're all doing well. I'm looking for some advice and recommendations on how to pack my newly purchased Sky-Watcher Star Adventure mount and tripod more compactly and securely. I believe it will be a bit of a hassle to load and unload these items from my vehicle, and I'd like to streamline the process.

I've been toying with the idea of investing in a sturdy plastic case and using foam inserts to secure the mount and tripod within it. This way, I can keep everything together and protected during transit. However, I'm not entirely sure about the specifics of this approach or if there might be better options out there.

One concern I have is moisture. While I plan to store my equipment indoors when not in use, during transit, it could spend several hours in the case. I intend to wipe everything down before placing it in the case to minimize the risk of moisture damage, but I'm curious if anyone else has faced this issue and how you've dealt with it.

Have any of you tried packing your Sky-Watcher Star Adventure mount and tripod in a more compact and convenient way? Do you have any suggestions, tips, or product recommendations? I'd love to hear about your experiences and learn from your wisdom.

Your insights and advice will be greatly appreciated as I work to make my stargazing adventures more efficient and enjoyable. Thank you in advance for your help!

Tbh considering how small the mount is you could use anything as long as there's sufficient padding inside and around it when it's packed away, thick yoga matts are great for this as they're dirt cheap and you can cut to size, or get pick and pluck foam to suit the container. I pack my whole azgti and refractor setup into a 50L bag which I can carry on my back, due to the size it's not too much hassle assembling and disassembling every time. If you're in a high humidity environment it'd help to wipe the equipment down and keep large dessicant sachets within the packaging to absorb damp. Tripod should usually be carried separately either freehand or in its own bag if it's a reasonable size.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Elp said:

Tbh considering how small the mount is you could use anything as long as there's sufficient padding inside and around it when it's packed away, thick yoga matts are great for this as they're dirt cheap and you can cut to size, or get pick and pluck foam to suit the container. I pack my whole azgti and refractor setup into a 50L bag which I can carry on my back, due to the size it's not too much hassle assembling and disassembling every time. If you're in a high humidity environment it'd help to wipe the equipment down and keep large dessicant sachets within the packaging to absorb damp. Tripod should usually be carried separately either freehand or in its own bag if it's a reasonable size.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. Just curious as to why the tripod should be carried separately?

1 hour ago, bess said:

Just curious as to why the tripod should be carried separately?

Smaller bag to carry your setup in. I don't have that issue with my small setup tripod due to when closed the tripod is roughly the length of a forearm, my larger tripods are nearly a metre in height closed so need their own bags.

• Like 1

It’s really down to what works for you. There’s plenty of off the shelf options out there designed for specific mounts and tripods (FLO), or you can repurpose other items (I use a tool box for my Mak).

I have no doubt that there are some lovingly hand crafted cases out there, no doubt incorporating power supplies, seats and the like.

Ultimately it’s just down to personal preference, budget, and skills!

Edited by inedible_hulk
Typo