Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Identification help please

BellP

Hi,

I took several (opportunistic) images with my smartphone (handheld) over the weekend,trying different techniques to capture stars etc. In the bottom right hand corner of one image, it appears that I caught maybe(?) the ISS, I didn't see it with the naked eye and wasn't trying to image it, but there is something that I can only assume is the ISS, or possibly another satellite, or object, I would be grateful if someone could help me identify it please, I do have another image and will share that if you think it may help? I don't have any fancy imaging software to enhance it, and hopefully will be able to plan and capture better images in the future.

Thanks, Peter

20231023_032121.jpg

I presume you're also thinking this due to the shape captured. The ISS would look like a white dot if you managed to capture it with a phone if it even shows up on the image at all due to most cameras not being good at capturing starfields in single exposures. The shape has happened as you've imaged it with shake/movement so what should be a dot has turned into a shape of some sort, this will also happen due to lens curvature and coma at the edges of most lenses. The ISS is quite distinct when you see it as it's a bit brighter than a typical star and it moves fairly fast, mostly from East to West horizon to horizon within a minute and a half or so.

Thanks so muchfor the replies, I think you all have made some very interesting and valid points, and 'Kon' I think you may have hit the nail on the head, something(s) for me to certainly take note of for the future. I really appreciate your input and taking time to help me understand more, and regarding the limitations of certain devices, my shaky hands and not supplying enough information to make informed validations!

Thanks everyone.

Peter