NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Widefield Cygnus with the Canon 6D, Canon 70-200 L F2.8 at 135mm and "Stu-extreme"

powerlord

This is the culmination of an experiment I've been working on - basically cutting up a 2" L-extreme, and fitting it inside my full frame Canon 6D.

I've never had good results with screwing a filter on the front of lenses - either it gives big nastly vignetting that is difficult to remove even with flats, or it does weird things to all the stars as they go further from the centre.

Details here:

Anyway, this is 'first light' for what I am calling the 'Stu-extreme'.

And you know what - it works. pretty awesomely !

This is 5 hours of 3 minute subs with the 6d and stu-extreme fitted. It was on my crappy old EQ5 and guiding refused to calibrate last night, so I was relying on tracking alone - 3 mins was as long as I could go without trails.

I shot wide open on the canon lens and was well chuffed to see pin point stars edge to edge with the lens, and no distortion caused by the stu-extreme.

This looks like a successful experiment and I'll be using it a lot now with the 6d and camera lenses!

Cygnus_6d.Canon135mm_F2.8.Stu-extreme.thumb.jpg.8c479244206d173d4dd2ae37bbb48b66.jpg

• Like 10