NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What software do you use for processing?

Olli

Just reading through everything to date and no real surprise to see that as with much of our hardware,  image processing software of choice really is a personal thing.  I would make as much use of free licence periods and have a play with as many platforms as you can then settle on what works for you.  Make sure you make full use of any youtube tutorials that may be available.  Tbh I like @ollypenrice advice re learn how to look an image, it's such an obvious starting point once you see it written - I've got new homework now :) 

Jim 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saac said:

Just reading through everything to date and no real surprise to see that as with much of our hardware,  image processing software of choice really is a personal thing.  I would make as much use of free licence periods and have a play with as many platforms as you can then settle on what works for you.  Make sure you make full use of any youtube tutorials that may be available.  Tbh I like @ollypenrice advice re learn how to look an image, it's such an obvious starting point once you see it written - I've got new homework now :) 

Jim 

Thinking about this a bit further, a useful exercise might be to take a very good amateur image and set yourself the task of identifying ten good points about it. This would oblige you to focus on, and distinguish between, different aspects of the image. Background sky (my personal starting point), stars, colour balance, colour intensity, noise, presence or absence of visible processing (sharpening, noise reduction), framing, depth of faint stuff, originality... etc.

Olly

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 15:14, bomberbaz said:

These are the scripts I mentioned, I use OSC pre-processing with background extraction which stacks and gives an even background at the same time. You can redo background extraction after stacking if you wish.

Hi My latest version of Siril doesn't have an option for pre-processing with background extraction. Did you write a script or download it from somewhere else? If so could you let me know where.

Thanks

55 minutes ago, IDM said:

Hi My latest version of Siril doesn't have an option for pre-processing with background extraction. Did you write a script or download it from somewhere else? If so could you let me know where.

Thanks

The post you quoted me from has the link to the scripts. Just dl them from the link