NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher Evostar 72ED

I have both scopes which l use as an imaging dual rig.   

They both seem to work well.  The ED72 gives a bigger FOV.   According to the specs the ED72 is faster than the ED80. 

SWED80 seems more solidly built but l think a shorter focal length is more forgiving to a learner. 

l did read somewhere about some problems getting focus with the ED72 but l have never had a problem.  

Not sure this helps much. 

1 hour ago, Veloman said:

I'm thinking of purchasing the above and dipping my toe into AP, but concerned that I'll regret not spending more and getting the 80ED. Any thoughts?

Rob

You will have many other things you need that extra cash for more than you need the difference between an ED80 and the 72ED, the 72ED is also a much more user friendly scope. 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rvo-horizon-60-ed-doublet-refractor-ota.html

or 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rvo-horizon-72-ed-doublet-refractor-ota.html

with FPL53 glass are your real upgrade path in my view and not the SW80ED. Both will be slightly sharper due to better CA correction. 

Two other features on the RVO 72 are great in my opinion and the imaging packages good value. 

1) It has a collimatable lens cell something not seen on. other clones of this scope design and actually very important. 

2) They test their refractors in house and are guaranteeing 0.95 strehl. 

...shame about the colour but you won't notice in the dark and I don't like the SW green either anyway. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

I’ve just recently bought the 72ED, my first refractor, so can’t compare to any others, but I was very impressed with it, I use it with my DSLR, no flattener or reducer, and got pinpoint clear stars to very near the edge. I was fortunate it came with a Bahtinov Mask, which really helps with the focusing. As I say, I’ve nothing to compare it to, but I’m very impressed with it. Good luck with your decision. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not an imager, but I went with (another brand) 72ED instead of an 80ED.  Looking at weights and physical dimensions, I felt the 72ED would be a bit easier to mount, transport, etc.  Also the 72 puts less stress on my lightweight mounts.  Both have excellent ratings and reviews for photography. 

I'm not sure that my eye is trained well enough to see much difference - visually anyway - between scopes, so my feeling is that either scope would be fine.  And you can always sell the one if you decide you want the other one.

Edited by jjohnson3803