Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew heater strip advice.

I'm visual only and have had a few of the 5v USB powered lens heater strips and although they do work I'm trying to get together a bit more powerful 12v solution for the Winter. I've got a 12v 50cm strip for the objective and a small 2 channel controller but I was wanting to pick your brains on what to do at the eyepiece end. Do you use a smaller strip around each individual eyepiece or is it ok to place the strip around the diagonals eyepiece holder? I'm just thinking of less faff when changing eyepieces. I see the small strips come in 1.25" and 2" sizes so was thinking of getting a 2" size and just leaving it on the diagonal?

Edited by Franklin

Interesting one. I’m a fairly recent user of eyepiece dew bands, in that I found I needed them for using with my binoviewers (where I don’t change eyepieces). I’ve limited use with dewbands for cyclops viewing, but I recall it is a pain as many of my eyepieces are different diameters and using a zoom can be a bit problematic. So no answers I’m afraid, but interested in your idea of attaching to the diagonal. Perhaps a portable hairdryer is the solution! 

Yes, I use a 2"-1.25" clicklock on the 32mm T2 prism diagonal so I was thinking of fitting the dew strip around that and trying to leave the lever exposed so I can lock and unlock without disturbing the dew strip? I've ordered a 2" strip for large eyepieces so I'll have a play around when it gets here.

• Like 1