Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

Darth Takahashi

The weather was nice and clear on Wednesday so I setup to image the Whirlpool galaxy M51. Setting up cost me 10min, Calibration another 15min and finding M51 another 15mins.

By the time I had M51 centered and ready to go the clouds rolled in :) and it was already 0:30am so I called it a night.

Thursday same process expect this time finder and placing M51 in the center of the frame only took 2-3mins. Also I was read to image by 22:45pm.

First run 10x 4min subs @ ISO1600

Second run 7x 10min subs @ ISO800

No filters were need because M51 was very high, close to the zenith. Seeing was good and transparency was average. Like so many I also suffer with water vapor in the atmosphere, nothing 1000m elevation wouldn't cure :)

Camera 450D (Kiss 2X)

Telescope Mewlon M250 with reducer

Guide scope FS60C

Mount EM200 USD3

This is just about the maximum payload that my mount can accept. If I try to use the Sky90 to guide its already too heavy :(

I'll try some more processing whilst on holiday visiting family in the UK.

I had another play with the image, can't quite decide which is the best technique for stacking galaxies, Median, average or Sigma clipped etc... What do you think?

Neil.

post-15658-133877368198_thumb.jpg

Nice image Neil. Personally I use sigma stacking. I am not exactly sure but I think this should only be used with a fair few subs, although I am not sure of the recommended amount. I always seem to have tons of subs as I go for hours.

When I stack with DSS it gives the recommended settings to use for stacking based on number of light frames, have you tried that?

Thanks for the comments guy's;

1. I didn't use a filter at all with the capture this M51 was so high in the night sky. However, I think I have been a little heavy handed with the processing. Using the Mewlon does give my a large illuminated field and so after stretching the image I have to deal with viginetting etc...

2. I had 10*4min sub's and 7x10min sub's. I have tried all of the stacking setting in DSS. I don't like the simple average and the three I try are as followings in order of preference;

A, Sigma stacking

B, Medium stacking

C, Sigma kappa stacking

To deal with the viginetting I use dust & scratches in PS, then clone stamp to get rid of M51 and then finally use this as a difference layer for the image, kind of a lazymans flat! If there is a better technique I'd appreciate the advise?

Neil.

Good effort! Have you tried something like DDP to preserve a bit more of the core?

Olly

Whats DDP Olly? Probably a stupid question but I have honestly never heard of it, at all?

Arran, I'll try GradientXTerminator tonight, never paid for astro software yet but will give this a go on your recommendation, well let's see if the trial works first.

Thanks for the tips

Neil.

Gentlemen;

After a quick play I have come up with the attached image. The gradientXTermiator worked very well and is definitely a keeper. Also Noel's actions helped in finishing up some of my other minor issues. I still have a lot to learn with image processing but a think the attached image looks more natural now. It was certainly a lot easier to produce, thanks for all the help.

More playing is require but its getting there I think!

Neil.

post-15658-13387736909_thumb.jpg

Archived