Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurora from South Wales 24 09 2023

Quick capture from last night on my Pixel 6, auto-generated time-lapse from night mode. Missed the more powerful one at 2am, unfortunately had to do inconvenient things like sleep before work in the morning 😂 Pillars were actually naked-eye visible too this time, previously it's just been a glow in the sky.

• Like 19

On 25/09/2023 at 09:56, doublevodka said:

Quick capture from last night on my Pixel 6, auto-generated time-lapse from night mode. Missed the more powerful one at 2am, unfortunately had to do inconvenient things like sleep before work in the morning 😂 Pillars were actually naked-eye visible too this time, previously it's just been a glow in the sky.

That's great. Do you use any particular software to predict or give advance warning of these events?

17 minutes ago, John_D said:

That's great. Do you use any particular software to predict or give advance warning of these events?

@John_D I use the android app from here https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/alerts/ specifically the small bouldering projects one, when it pings on your phone with a red alert, it's time to get outside (well if the weather permits)

Visually, sometimes it's just a faint red glow in the distance, almost like streetlights, but more red, the first time I caught it I wasn't sure until I started taking pictures with my phone.

You are only down the road from me so your experience should be very similar 👍

On 28/09/2023 at 10:11, doublevodka said:

@John_D I use the android app from here https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/alerts/ specifically the small bouldering projects one, when it pings on your phone with a red alert, it's time to get outside (well if the weather permits)

Visually, sometimes it's just a faint red glow in the distance, almost like streetlights, but more red, the first time I caught it I wasn't sure until I started taking pictures with my phone.

You are only down the road from me so your experience should be very similar 👍

Thanks, app installed. I've got a reasonable view to the north away from the bright lights of Llanelli so I'll give it a go.

Have you ever ventured up to the Brecon Beacons when you get an alert? The Brynamman to Llangadog road ( A 4069? ) should have some good views northwards.

10 hours ago, John_D said:

Thanks, app installed. I've got a reasonable view to the north away from the bright lights of Llanelli so I'll give it a go.

Have you ever ventured up to the Brecon Beacons when you get an alert? The Brynamman to Llangadog road ( A 4069? ) should have some good views northwards.

Not gone that far yet, my best shots and views have been minutes after the alerts.

That said I've been looking at light pollution maps and the closest to me it really drops off is around Talley, just past Llandeilo, so I might have to have a scout around up there for a spot, slightly quicker to get to than the Brynamman to Llangadog road, and not as cold 😂 

• Like 1