Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starsense explorer 3D base for Starsense Cradle on DX Mounts

sojourneyer

Much has been written about 3D options for affixing the starsense cradles on their DL product line to other telescopes.  But I have not seen anything for affixing the

cradle from a DX unit to either a telescope or a mount. 

Are there any options around?

Here are photos of the DL vs DX cradles. The latter is the DX

DL.jpg

DX.jpg

Can you remove the cradle from the mount?  Having a look on ebay there are some people selling them (for quite a lot of money).  The fixing looks reasonably simple but I'd guess it would have tight tolerances.  Without a DX mount to test fitting I could possibly knock something together (provided I had lots of measurements)  but I'd have no idea if it worked.

I've designed one for the DL mount (I have it) so it would be nice to get the complete set with the DX mount.  Looking at the DX I've no idea how hard it would be to remove, but I think as an alternative to something that mounts on the DX mount, something that fits between the mirror bit and the adjustable bit would work, provide it didn't put too much (honestly any) stress on the join.

I've got a bit of a thing about astro 3D printing as most of the gear costs pennies to make, which is a bit unusual in this hobby.  That being said, they still sell for crazy prices on the ebay.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply.

I do not wish to sell the cradle but install it on another scope or mount

The DL cradle is simple.  You just need a finder like 3d block to affix the cradle to and put it in the finder shoe. It just has screws attached to the optical tube. 

The DX is a whole different ballgame. I guess you are not familiar with this baby. 

It can only be affixed to a mount.  It looks like you can only affix the cradle with screws to a mount somehow as the bottom portion of the cradle is one piece of plastic.

Here are 360 degree photos of the  cradle

top /  side/ bottom / other side

top view.jpg

side where you affix to mount.jpg

bottom side.jpg

right side.jpg

Edited by sojourneyer

I believe the Starsense cradle for you configuration is connected via a twist & lock type mechanism.  I know this as I was looking at options for mounting my Starsense in a similar manner.

Can you add a picture of the part affixed to the mount? That's likely what will be needed for making a 3d print adapter for it.

• Like 1

I know this thread is about mounting the StarSense unit directly onto other telescopes, but has anyone tried mounting an entire LT 70 on a bigger telescope like a giant finderscope? This could sidestep the mounting problem, with a pair of rings, a dovetail and a clamp as long as the two telescopes could be aligned..

2 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I know this thread is about mounting the StarSense unit directly onto other telescopes, but has anyone tried mounting an entire LT 70 on a bigger telescope like a giant finderscope? This could sidestep the mounting problem, with a pair of rings, a dovetail and a clamp as long as the two telescopes could be aligned..

The modular mounting that @Ratlet has made would be a cheaper alternative for Starsense mounts that have a holster type connection.  Especially with the option to mount sideways or upright.

48 minutes ago, sojourneyer said:

Thanks for you reply.

I do not wish to sell the cradle but install it on another scope or mount

The DL cradle is simple.  You just need a finder like 3d block to affix the cradle to and put it in the finder shoe. It just has screws attached to the optical tube. 

The DX is a whole different ballgame. I guess you are not familiar with this baby. 

It can only be affixed to a mount.  It looks like you can only affix the cradle with screws to a mount somehow as the bottom portion of the cradle is one piece of plastic.

Here are 360 degree photos of the  cradle

top /  side/ bottom / other side

top view.jpg

side where you affix to mount.jpg

bottom side.jpg

right side.jpg

If I had one I dare say I could knock it up a fitting that would work for the twist lock, but without one to measure it'll be a bit tricky.  Would basically need to measure up the other end and then build in fusion 360 and refine the design till it worked.

Alternative (which would be better for a finder shoe mount) would be to make something that fits on the bottom of the unit to allow it to mount to a finder shoe.

the way they designed the cradle for the DX makes it impossible to affix to a scope. It must be somehow put on a cradle connector (similar to the one on the existing mount)

And there needs to be a way to affix a cradle connector to the mount.

I was contemplating putting it on a Twilight 1.  But it looks like a dead deal.

So the one on ebay has an interesting design:

image.png.6d62ab41f1abacbc1908af98c5981c7f.png

This would be interesting to use on a Dob...

I've had a look at mine and my approach would be different.  I would design a part to fit between the mirror holder and phone position adjuster, there are two holes with guide studs which would make this pretty secure.

image.png.e7cdd1edd54d34a995790c49aa9c1cad.png

I would have a plate on the bottom that either gives a standard finder shoe or replicates the other style starsense mount, this would allow compatibility with my own brackets (because I am nothing if not vain lol).  At the rear there is a nice space between the gearing for the phone adjuster to allow a support to go to hold everything in place:

image.png.7a42dcd3660ee5a34afcac19309f7276.png

I realise mine is the other style, but it looks like the only significant difference is the base plate, the mirror holder and the rest appears to be the same design.

Do you have a 3D printer?

Edited by Ratlet

Do you want it to be inter-changeable between the existing Celestron mount and your other scope(s)?

If by fitting on a Twilght 1 you mean a EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC Twilight I  I don't think that's feasible.  The fitting on the Celestron mount lets the Starsense unit rotate both in Az & Alt but I can't see it fitting on the side of the Twighlight 1 as that would only rotate on one axis.

However, I do believe an adapter could be made to mimic the mount part of the twist mechanism.  The adapter would need to have something like a findershoe, dovetail etc, so it can fit either on top of a scope or at the side keeping the phone aligned (in an almost upright portrait position) as the scope moves.

If that all makes sense and you wish to progress then post a picture of the part on the mount it twists into and let us know what scope(s) you intend to use it with.