Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blue Supermoon

Dark Adaptation

My picture of the Blue Supermoon of August 30th, 2023! Pictures taken with Mak60 telescope and phone, and also without telescope.

BlueSupermoon(12).thumb.jpg.6cdd0ffeac23efbe3e7ac82646dcdc3b.jpgBlueSupermoon(7).thumb.jpg.9a322d50f97a0f385184d0d69ef69729.jpgBlueSupermoon.thumb.png.db10729877827e5199e7e1ab9feef606.png

One thing I don't understand: Why do they call it a "Blue Moon" if it isn't blue? And also, why is it named a "Supermoon" if it doesn't look enormous, or at least abnormally large? One explanation is that where I live, my skyline is quite a bit higher than the actual horizon, so would that destroy the optical illusion of "Super"?

Edited by Dark Adaptation
Added in a question I forgot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice images!

Just recently seen your post and your questions.

If you've already had them answered great

The Blue Moon is a second full moon in one month. It happens regularly, but only "once in a blue moon!"!

A super Moon is one that due to its elliptical orbit is closer to the Earth during its full moon cycle.

They have a set distance it needs to fall in to be a super moon being the distance to the moon at that time can vary.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...